DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Paul Hayden

Heat Shrink Colours

Paul Hayden

Hi,

I was questioned recently about certifying an installation. 

There was an electrician on the job previous to myself who

used 1.5 sq T+E to wire a light switch. (Brown, Blue, Earth, Feed at the ceiling pendant).

I was told that if I were to heat shrink the neutral cables both ends that the installation would

be fine to certify.  I argue that this is not the case. Would love to know peoples thoughts putting

aside that this is poor workmanship.

Regards,

Paul

roys

Personally it is no big deal, I always put a bit brown sleaving on the blue to signify the switched live, certainaly good practice.

Many an electrician has made a few quid in the old days and present with the DIYers putting all reds together and all blacks together when doing a fitting replacement, but as I am retired I don’t know what the official line is.

Paul Hayden

Thanks Roys,

Yes I know technically once it looks ok and heat shrink is on it that it should be fine but It

is a new installation and I am not really comfortable certifying it. Thanks for the response.

Regards,

Paul

roys

I am sure one of the current 18th qualified sparks will be along just shortly to give you the official line.

i would certainly not be using twin brown cores as the idea is good but just asking for a mistake to be made.

I managed to get current and short together in one sentence 😀 ahh simple things.

Edited by roys
Additional

Paul Hayden

😂😂 Thanks Roys. Nice Work.

Doc Hudson

Have a read of Appendix 7, and note3 at the top of page 485.

Doc H.

Andy™
1 hour ago, Paul Hayden said:

I was told that if I were to heat shrink the neutral cables both ends that the installation would

be fine to certify.  I argue that this is not the case. Would love to know peoples thoughts putting

aside that this is poor workmanship.

my thoughts? youre not competent as you dont know the requirments of BS7671 enough to do your job. try section 514

Murdoch

My thoughts:

why heat shrink? Are we not allowed to use sleeving anymore

why are you considering signing off work you haven’t 100% been responsible for?

Paul Hayden

Thanks Doc Hudson,

I am following the Irish Reg's so I can't look at those pages. 

I will have a look through our reg's at the weekend to see can

I locate some information on it.

Paul

Murdoch
Just now, Paul Hayden said:

Thanks Doc Hudson,

I am following the Irish Reg's so I can't look at those pages. 

I will have a look through our reg's at the weekend to see can

I locate some information on it.

Paul

Maybe update your location to Eire ....

Paul Hayden

Thanks Murdoch,

Will do. Still getting to grips with this forum. 

Looks very helpful. 

Thanks again

P

kerching

Unless I'm reading this wrong

A) you won't be heat shrinking the NEUTRALS , you will be heatshrinking the BLUE switch wire

B) no,idea why it's heatshrink.   Unless it's an Irish Reg.    I just use a bit of brown sleeving

NozSpark

IIRC some of my wife's family have said that they have to use twin Brown as switch wires

kerching

I once had an apprentice first fix the lighting in twin red on a very large house

that was fun

Paul Hayden

HI NozSpark,

Yes, thats definitely what should have been used. 

Given the nature of the error and other reservations

I have decided to walk away from then job. Its not

worth exposing myself.

Thanks for everyones comments. 

I will try to be an active member.

P

roys
1 hour ago, Paul Hayden said:

. Its not worth exposing myself.

Operation Yew Tree😀😀

Risteard

It is prohibited to use a core of an incorrect colour and heatshrink it under ET101.

It MUST be replaced with twin brown I.S. 201-4 (new type T&E with full-sized insulated cpc) cable.

But the QC (Qualified Certifier) should know this.

Edited by Risteard

kerching
9 hours ago, Risteard said:

MUST be replaced with twin brown I.S. 201-4 (new type T&E with full-sized insulated cpc) cable.

That's interesting 

I never knew or heard of that....makes sense though all cores the same size and insulated.    Apparently in USA they don't even sleeve the earth AND I believe you can only have 1 core in a screw terminal so they are all fastened with a Screwit and a pigtail brought out

Sharpend
1 hour ago, kerching said:

That's interesting 

I never knew or heard of that....makes sense though all cores the same size and insulated.    Apparently in USA they don't even sleeve the earth AND I believe you can only have 1 core in a screw terminal so they are all fastened with a Screwit and a pigtail brought out

Is this to aid conductivity in the ‘flash bang’ test? 

Risteard
On 24/01/2020 at 15:00, Paul Hayden said:

Thanks Roys,

Yes I know technically once it looks ok and heat shrink is on it that it should be fine but It

is a new installation and I am not really comfortable certifying it. Thanks for the response.

Regards,

Paul

Out of interest, why are you certifying someone else's installation work?

The only time that this is permissible is after having filed a Change of Contractor request, and then only after having received written authority from RECI to proceed. In every other situation it is prohibited and will result in disciplinary action (including expulsion) from RECI. The only other exception to this is the "Test Only" cert where an installation has been de-energised for over six months to get the DSO (ESB) reconnection.

roys

Risteard, just asking out of interest and following on from what you have said, does that mean you can’t have the situation in say a bigger company where you have one man in the company just going round doing the testing of the various site teams within the company?

Risteard
On 28/01/2020 at 21:00, roys said:

Risteard, just asking out of interest and following on from what you have said, does that mean you can’t have the situation in say a bigger company where you have one man in the company just going round doing the testing of the various site teams within the company?

The company must have at least one Qualified Certifier (QC). Legally only this person can carry out the inspection and testing (and certification). So the others in the company could carry out the work but it must not be energised without a/the QC having verified it.

For a large company they would generally have numerous QCs.

A QC Number is valid for five years, after which the Testing and Verification course must be resat. Without resitting the course a new QC Number cannot be issued and certificates cannot be issued.

So the company will have a RECI Registration Number, and each and every QC will have a QC Number, e.g. QC1234/012020 which would mean that the QC Number is 1234 and it expires in January 2020.

roys

Cheers Risteard.

Sharpend

It’s a far better system than we have here that’s for sure. Does it get abused in any way? 

Risteard
5 hours ago, Sharpend said:

It’s a far better system than we have here that’s for sure. Does it get abused in any way? 

The potential for abuse largely arises out of Registered Electrical Contractors illegally selling certs to non-RECs.

Whilst this does happen I would like to think that it's not commonplace (at least not anymore).

The other problem is if a REC certifies someone else's job without going through the required Change of Contractor procedure. Again, I would like to think that this doesn't happen often as it is grossly unfair to those of us who actually comply with the RECI Rules of Registration and puts us at a competitive disadvantage.

Edited by Risteard