Heat Shrink Colours

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Hayden

Reaction score
Hi,

I was questioned recently about certifying an installation. 

There was an electrician on the job previous to myself who

used 1.5 sq T+E to wire a light switch. (Brown, Blue, Earth, Feed at the ceiling pendant).

I was told that if I were to heat shrink the neutral cables both ends that the installation would

be fine to certify.  I argue that this is not the case. Would love to know peoples thoughts putting

aside that this is poor workmanship.

Regards,

Paul

Personally it is no big deal, I always put a bit brown sleaving on the blue to signify the switched live, certainaly good practice.

Many an electrician has made a few quid in the old days and present with the DIYers putting all reds together and all blacks together when doing a fitting replacement, but as I am retired I don’t know what the official line is.

Thanks Roys,

Yes I know technically once it looks ok and heat shrink is on it that it should be fine but It

is a new installation and I am not really comfortable certifying it. Thanks for the response.

Regards,

Paul

I am sure one of the current 18th qualified sparks will be along just shortly to give you the official line.

i would certainly not be using twin brown cores as the idea is good but just asking for a mistake to be made.

I managed to get current and short together in one sentence 😀 ahh simple things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told that if I were to heat shrink the neutral cables both ends that the installation would

be fine to certify.  I argue that this is not the case. Would love to know peoples thoughts putting

aside that this is poor workmanship.

my thoughts? youre not competent as you dont know the requirments of BS7671 enough to do your job. try section 514

My thoughts:

why heat shrink? Are we not allowed to use sleeving anymore

why are you considering signing off work you haven’t 100% been responsible for?

Thanks Doc Hudson,

I am following the Irish Reg's so I can't look at those pages. 

I will have a look through our reg's at the weekend to see can

I locate some information on it.

Paul

HI NozSpark,

Yes, thats definitely what should have been used. 

Given the nature of the error and other reservations

I have decided to walk away from then job. Its not

worth exposing myself.

Thanks for everyones comments. 

I will try to be an active member.

P

It is prohibited to use a core of an incorrect colour and heatshrink it under ET101.

It MUST be replaced with twin brown I.S. 201-4 (new type T&E with full-sized insulated cpc) cable.

But the QC (Qualified Certifier) should know this.

Last edited by a moderator:
MUST be replaced with twin brown I.S. 201-4 (new type T&E with full-sized insulated cpc) cable.
That's interesting 

I never knew or heard of that....makes sense though all cores the same size and insulated.    Apparently in USA they don't even sleeve the earth AND I believe you can only have 1 core in a screw terminal so they are all fastened with a Screwit and a pigtail brought out

That's interesting 

I never knew or heard of that....makes sense though all cores the same size and insulated.    Apparently in USA they don't even sleeve the earth AND I believe you can only have 1 core in a screw terminal so they are all fastened with a Screwit and a pigtail brought out
Is this to aid conductivity in the ‘flash bang’ test? 

Thanks Roys,

Yes I know technically once it looks ok and heat shrink is on it that it should be fine but It

is a new installation and I am not really comfortable certifying it. Thanks for the response.

Regards,

Paul
Out of interest, why are you certifying someone else's installation work?

The only time that this is permissible is after having filed a Change of Contractor request, and then only after having received written authority from RECI to proceed. In every other situation it is prohibited and will result in disciplinary action (including expulsion) from RECI. The only other exception to this is the "Test Only" cert where an installation has been de-energised for over six months to get the DSO (ESB) reconnection.