Bathroom extractor fan recommendations

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS79

Reaction score
Evening chaps 

Installed an expelair silent extractor this week (£65 screwfix) and not impressed with it. Customer not noticed great improvements either. Someone else wants one installed and wondering what others are installing at minute. Would want one with humidstat and timer.

Cheers 

A fan described as "silent" usually means "low power" which usually means low airflow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon not that's why I asked about .make up air

I thought so but not a phrase many people would use.

looked at a house recently none of their fans were “working” ..... well they all were, but none had any decent airflow under the doors.... no point in changing the fans until the doors are shortened 

Is there enough "make up air" available?

is it installed in the correct location and not 'short circuiting'

depending on the clients pocket I would go for Vortice.    If they have shallow pockets then Anda, Manrose etc

but what do I know....see present wife for an expanded critique

Is there enough airflow into the room under the door?

Probably not in all honesty. I'll start quoting for door shortening on the next one. 

A fan described as "silent" usually means "low power" which usually means low airflow.

And with a silent fan you generally pay a premium for the poorer performance

A while back asked a wholesaler for a price on a particular model of fan and they said they would call me back about 10 mins later, they rang with the price at which point I queried their margin on it as the price was about £20 more than I would normally pay from another supplier eventually found out that wherever they were sourcing it from was quoting on a slightly different part number insisting it was the same fan reality was they assumed  that "everybody" used the silent fans without understanding the specs

A lot of cheap modern doors have very little wood framing. I trimmed a bit off one of mine to fit a carpet and finished up with a cavity.

Easy enough to make and fit a new "insert", provided the facilities are to hand but could be a pain if its someone else's door and the means to fix it not available..