Rcd not resetting.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc1973

Reaction score
Evening all

i have a shed which has a power feed into a small consumer unit with two MCBs and one RCD. I needed to disconnect the sockets leaving the first socket in place so flicked the MCBs and " inadvertently" the RCD also. I disconnected the sockets that were fed as a spur off the first, leaving the first in place, and connected back up. Now the RCD will not reset i.e return to top position, leaving no power to lights or socket. I have turned all the power off and it will still not reset. I tried putting all the sockets back on I.e. same as original but still no joy. Is this a faulty RCD or am I missing something here?  Does a RCD need power to reset i.e. Could the problem be back at source from the main consumer unit?

Any thoughts gratefully received. 

Cheers

Have you tried tunring the RCD fully off? some trip to a half way position and wont switch back on from there. Failing that, you have a fault, either with the wiring or the RCD

You more than likely have a wiring fault. You need to check all the wiring on the circuit to ensure you have no short circuits/incorrect polarity etc.

As this is a shed it should be fairly simple to fault find.

Thanks guys. Electric was working ( lights) right up until I turned the power off. I've tried all positions - pushing fully down from halfway then back up, but it won't stay there. Can't see that it could be a wiring fault as nothing changed other than removing spur from first socket, so should be less complicated.

So I don't need power to reset the RCD, right?

Kopp 40 0 03 

Disconnect neutrals in the shed board  ,   switch off all breakers & try again .  Reconnect one by one which may indicate the fault .   It could have failed when you switched it off ...bit of a coincidence  but strange things happen with electrics  .     Is it damp in there??

Last edited by a moderator:
All fixed😀

Took the rcd out having disconnected all the wires.  Fiddled with it, and all of a sudden I felt some resistance as I pushed it up and it stayed in position. Put it all back together and everything works. 

In summary a temperamental switch. 

Thanks all. 

All fixed😀

Took the rcd out having disconnected all the wires.  Fiddled with it, and all of a sudden I felt some resistance as I pushed it up and it stayed in position. Put it all back together and everything works. 

Thanks all. 
sounds like the switch has become 'sticky' with age. RCDs are supposed to have their test buttons pushed 4 times a year, it rarely happens, so the mechanisms can become sticky, and even fail to operate when needed. 

All fixed😀

Thanks all. 

So you're now going to potentially trust this, previously faulty, device with your's or someone elses lives??

I wouldn't.....

Maybe the RCD will not operate at all now you have fiddle with it? How have you verified its operating time and current? This RCD needs testing with an approved RCD tester to verify it is operating within the correct time and current characteristics defined in BS7671 wiring regulations, otherwise it is of no practical use at all.      

Doc H.

tbh it sounds more like its tripped but the lever hasnt fully moved to off position to allow the mechanism to reset, rather than it being stick and not tripping at all