Wylex rcd button not working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon-0116

Reaction score
Wylex split load board, installed 2 weeks ago

Field called me on a Sunday afternoon saying 1 side tripped and now he's resett it but test button dosn't work.  

So I grab a spare rcd a few tools the wife and kids as they very mad about helping a good friend.

Test rcd button and times. Button dosn't work and 1x above 310ms.

So swap rcd to another and same results.

When you plug something in on socket circuit it trips rcd now,  he says wasn't before.

Insulation at 250v live neutral + e above 200

My wife going mental so agree with mate I'll go back on Monday 

Coincidence both rcd faulty or am I missing something.

Am I been thick over looking something simple

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest you disconnect ALL the neutrals from the relevant neutral bars, turn off all the MCB's, and test the RCD properly with your MFT

IME RCD's rarely fail in service, especially  after such a short period of time

N-E fault likely

PS - RCBO boards are far better...

Last edited by a moderator:
check PSCC/ PFC - look for faulty incoming neutral, anything weird is usually a neutral! 

Like that.

Reminds me of a fault a couple of years ago a customer was experiencing their rcds tripping ... often together. There was a plug below the board so I plugged my MFT in and looked at the voltages L - N and L - E ..... the L -N was fluctuating ....

so I called the dno ... at 7pm they turned up, at 3 am a temporary generator was installed and the next day they dug up the neighbours patio .... to repair the damaged incoming supply

Issues like this make the job so very interesting

Latest posts