Lighting wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnMir

Reaction score
I have this job with 20 tracklights on 6amp RCBOs that is keep tripping when I try to turn them on. Before was less lights fitted and worked just fine. Someone recommended to use contractors. Can anyone help me to wire them?

Take half the lights out , then add them 1 by 1

i suspect that if your lights are LED you may well be “suffering” from excessive start up current 

Hi Sharpend.

the lightings are 

38W LED module (COB) Cool White

K: 4000 Lm: 3000 Lm/W: 79

and there’s no other loads.

HI Murdock 

it’s working with fewer lights installed on the track but the idea is to make them work without taking any lights off. 

Back to the op .... do the manufacturers provide any recommendations as the max number per circuit?

do you have test kit?

can you check the zs?

The manufacturer said that we can add quite a few. Sometimes doesn't trip on the first switching. I will post tomorrow the zs. The track doesn't come with module. Every track light has a light module driver. 

This is how I found them wired by the electrician. The cables are 1mm. I will have a look at the connection to the track maybe is a lose connection. 

E5A3E3A9-BCEE-45F7-856A-3FF4A7416D26.jpeg

Thanks for your help guys the issue was the inrush current. Changed the breaker with a type C

Back to the op .... do the manufacturers provide any recommendations as the max number per circuit?

do you have test kit?

can you check the zs?

did you check the circuit could take a type C and do any required testing?

Changing a B for a C is an MWC at least.

Thanks for your help guys the issue was the inrush current. Changed the breaker with a type C

It would be very interesting for other forum members on here, if you could confirm that you have checked the Zs readings for the circuit are still within the characteristics for a C type breaker?  By my rough calculations swapping a 6amp 'B' to a 6amp 'C' reduces the max permissible circuit length by about 100m if using 1.0mm T&E.  [ Max permissible Zs from 7.28 to 3.64,  i.e. loose 3.64ohms worth of R1+R2 ] 

If installation methods permit, It may also have been possible to use a 10amp 'B' which could have 'cured' your problem. This only looses approx. 80m length of 1.0mm T&E), rather than a 6amp 'C'.   [ Max permissible Zs from 7.28 to 4.37,  i.e. loose 2.91ohms worth of R1+R2 ].  If you get chance JohnMir, please post up your test readings/calcualtions,  Did you issue and MWC as Sidewinder correctly points out?

Doc H.