Timber framed new builds

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Deffley

Reaction score
Hi. Recently started a new build site where the client has a spec for timber framed built houses. Every single trade on the site are finding difficulties with this method of build. If this is the way we are going (seemingly American) do we even have the tools available in this country to cope? I fear not. 
there seems to be a trend of manufacturers creating self feeding fast cutting drill bits, but use these for trying to drill a 32mm hole through two C16 timbers and get ready to soon be buying a new set up. Is there anything battery powered out there that can do this? I don’t think we have it in this country. 

Personally I always used 110v drill, don’t see the point of risking damage to a battery drill and/or batteries at £200 a time? 
easier, quicker and better to use 110v for all the hard graft. Also very handy when you have to drill out any ducting holes. 
Nail gun for timber noggins, battery saw for cutting noggins. 

It's almost all timber frame up here. I love them.  All you need is a drill and a multitool. So much easier to run cables.  I really really really hate it when I occasionally find a brick house and have to go back to that pre historic method of chasing cables into brick.

Lived and worked in NZ for 5 years did a fair bit of domestic and it was all timber framed. Don't see whats the hassle. I used a 240v drill with the usual mix of augers and flat bits and had no issues. Easier than red brick any day.