2 din car stereo recommendations?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a van from my son. More of a camper type 'day' van. Its a Honda Stepwagon, jap import dated at 1998. There is a great big hole with a normal sized stereo in it. I am looking for something that has:

2 Din size

DAB radio

CD player

Bluetooth hands free etc

Reversing camera input

Decent sound and power output 50 w or so

I know there are cheap chinese ones available that do everything but I'm not convinced. Would be handy to have a single unit that does all these things esp the rear camera.

Just wondered if anyone had a particular one they had seen or used that can be recommended

Thanks

have looked at a few. there are a lot of chinese ones very cheap that do everything but not convinced. Seen a decent spec Pioneer unit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-AVH-A3100DAB-In-Car-Touchscreen/dp/B0781VY2FJ

£219 best price so far, plus about £15 for a DAB aerial. Just thinking campervan, handy to have CD/DVD usb and phone connectivity for those rainy days. This unit does it all, I like everything to be incorporated and hate additional screens for reversing cameras etc.

Just noticed Pioneer...... made in China

Sadly Rev, most named brands are made in China now, so they are all pretty much a muchness of the same print. Probably all coming from the same one or two factories! 

Stick with the known brands Rev, we bought a used car a year or so ago, it had an unknown brand 2 DIN unit it had all the bells and whistles, it was rubbish.

Ripped it out and put in a Kenwood CD/DAB unit with bluetooth & as it happens a camera input.

Mainly because we had it kicking around, but, if we hadn’t we would have bought something else, the no brand unit was that, bad, even though on paper it did loads of things it did nothing well.

Thanks Sidey, I have just ordered the above Pioneer unit, a DAB aerial and a chinese rear camera (£7) dont mind if that needs replacing (the one on my van has lasted 3 years). Pioneer unit has some really good reviews. Hopefully not too much of a faff to install in a 22 year old jap import. I have already got the cable to convert from the honda connector to the 2 ISO plugs. 

Looks in good nick Rev. What size lump in it.  
In very good nick as its a jap import. No rust anywhere. Might need to underseal. Its a 2.0 petrol V tec with 4 speed auto. The body kit has been taken off as it was badly fitted and needed painting. May go back on once its repaired. Not very practical as the front spoiler hits my driveway and every single speed bump and you cant go anywhere near kerbs. Bigger wheels?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its all off now Geoff. Not a big fan. Also has a big noisy rear exhaust box that I dont like, that has to go as it would be annoying on a long run.

With a 2.0 lump then it should carry well. Body kit not practical for campervan, off road field parking? 

It goes really well and V tec motors very reliable.

You really do get what you pay for with chinese stuff. Pioneer was always the brand leader with car stereos. Havent got it quite installed yet but ,ade a start. A lot to put in - DAB aerial, Rear camera signal cable, Bluetooth mic, USB cable as well as the existing FM aerial and DIN plugs. Annoyingly the orifice that it was supposed to go into is about 8mm to small on height and about 2mm on width. Multitool will be coming out methinks

@revjames, is there a cage in the aperture already for the old unit that needs to come out first?

Check carefully, because I have been caught with that one!!!
I feel your pain

took old unit out

nice clear space to see behind dash

hole OBVIOUSLY TOO SMALL

actually had a plastic infil frame/sleeve that was so well fitted I didn't realise until bezel moved slightly.....closer tolerance than the space shuttle

got it out to find standard opening

just saying