Cell phone query

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Nokia 1   Android which isn't very good TBH    as battery just runs down even when not in use .   ( But works well as an expensive torch)  

Latest thing is .....Data  !!  whats all that about .    Mr Evans  you've run out of Data   :C      Do I want to buy some more ?    Not really no .   I didn't know I needed any .

It will refresh on the 13th of month .    Emails now  ...you have no data ...buy some .      

Do I need Data , what is it for ?  

Phone works

Messages work

it hooked itself into my Evans Electric gmail  so that works .  

So ..Data  ?   

It is used for anything interweb related, that can be you surfing, mailing, you tubing, or by any apps that are on your phone, the apps generally run in the back ground consuming small amounts of data each day. 

Also, when you think you’re on Wi-fi and it drops out, it uses your data connection.

we were in the Lakes last week and the misses got a text from Vodafone about her foreign usage .... presumably she was connected to an Irish mast 

so keep an an eye on your connections

Last edited by a moderator:
It must be the Apps then  .   I only make/ receive  calls  & texts .       gmails are duplicated on the phone   but I don't send any .      Fat fingers & tine keyboard.  

Also, when you think you’re on Wi-fi and it drops out, it uses your data connection
I have  Wi-fi turned off  but the gmails still come , must be that .

Charged up on Sunday  ,  two calls made today  , down to 48%  .  

It must be the Apps then  .   I only make/ receive  calls  & texts .       gmails are duplicated on the phone   but I don't send any .      Fat fingers & tine keyboard.  

I have  Wi-fi turned off  but the gmails still come , must be that .

Charged up on Sunday  ,  two calls made today  , down to 48%  .  

How old is the phone ?

also I have my emails set to ‘fetch” so it’s up to me when I get my emails ....

The biggest mobile data eater is the app updates which can usually be set to update only over a WiFi connection or manually so it doesn't use up mobile data. The automatic app updates over mobile data are what usually land people with big bills when roaming abroad

we were in the Lakes last week and the misses got a text from Vodafone about her foreign usage .... presumably she was connected to an Irish mast 

so keep an an eye on your connections

Get this quite often on the North Wales coast where calls are connected through the Irish networks and I have also had similar on parts of the south coast and northern France

How old is the phone ?
About 12 months  Murdo.

The biggest mobile data eater is the app updates which can usually be set to update only over a WiFi connection or manually so it doesn't use up mobile data.
I'll take a look at that , thanks 

I'm getting constant message now from EE ..."  Sign in to network "  .    EE is on the screen , so I don't know what that is about .    

The big battery user on my phone is GPS.  Usually you turn that off in the "location" settings.

Even the bloody flashlight on my phone uses data. Explain that one to me. Some tracking software built into it. Everyone wants to know where you are and what you are doing.

Set your emails so they only load on demand, when you look at them, not constantly checking.

And stop browsing the forum in your tea breaks (or like most youngsters, every 5 minutes)

In your settings turn off mobile data, this way your apps will only refresh and update when connected to WiFi.

Alternatively you will need to go to each app and stop them from using mobile data.