New Minimum requirement for electrical QS s

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently  due to the disaster at  Grenfell  Tower , electrical Qualified Supervisors  will have an extra standard imposed .  

I'll make a couple of points .

1)  I don't know of any connection between that fire and electrical contractors in general . 

2)  We are told that the fire spread via combustible material used to clad the exterior of the building . 

Much has been said about it but I do not hear anyone state who exactly decides to use that material .      Two options ,  (1)   It was specified by the architect & approved by Building Control . 

(2)    An inferior & cheaper material was installed in order to cream some money out of the contract . 

None of this was due to any actions taken by an electrical contractor .  

Imho the QS role is open to abuse. 1 QS and how many sparks / jobs can they be responsible for? 

100 unskilled workers

100 apprentices

That's where they need to start.

And the fees from the schemes

A cost per spark should be the starting point, so the cost for sole traders goes down and the cost for bigger businesses goes up

Anything else is simply kerching

Has anyone been on any of these EV courses?

EV charge points seem to be a bit of a minefield IMHO ................. wonder if these courses make anything crystal clear!

Yes solve a problem by over burdening someone not involved with more regulation.

Only 3 years to go........

And people wonder why more people are working "off record"

Imho the QS role is open to abuse. 1 QS and how many sparks / jobs can they be responsible for? 
You 'd never cope on a  big firm .   In our last entity, my mate  also the boss was the QS   Full Scope  , but it was me  as supervisor /estimator / van driver  who actually did all the on -site  stuff .    Eight  regular  sparks who knew what they were doing , two apprenttii ,  and often  up to fourteen  with subbies  .    

The occasional hic-ups occurred , emergency lights without  test switches  so not the end of the world. 

Problems arose with a few guys who knew everything  so did stuff like in the drawing  because, and I quote ,   you can't pass a neutral through a light switch .   :C     Hospital engineer was not amused .

The other big one was  the belief that a 40A /30mA RCD   would trip on a 40A overload .     ( I know I posted these  before )   

Scan0001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone been on any of these EV courses?

EV charge points seem to be a bit of a minefield IMHO ................. wonder if these courses make anything crystal clear!

And people wonder why more people are working "off record"
I actually attended one of the first courses held at Niccy HQ, and we were given a COP book, then they changed it all to allow MFRS to have a clever gadget to see a neutral fault on PME, now from my understanding they’ve gone back to what they originally said? :C  

I actually attended one of the first courses held at Niccy HQ, and we were given a COP book, then they changed it all to allow MFRS to have a clever gadget to see a neutral fault on PME, now from my understanding they’ve gone back to what they originally said? :C  

one of my customers has somone coming to fit some EV chargers soon. they will be fitting this magic box next to the DB. so i dont think its been banned

Cynicism 101

you want me to do what!?

Really?

are you gaining financially from this at the expense of the public and the Sparks?

really?

well frick off!

next

.......and repeat

course lasts as long as you want below 10 minutes max, all the rest of the time is taken up with telling you what to do in case of a fire, where the bogs are, who the first aiders  are, when the next full moon is, when Lidl opens and all our additional,courses

Cynical?...me?!

Cynicism 101

you want me to do what!?

Really?

are you gaining financially from this at the expense of the public and the Sparks?

really?

well frick off!

next

.......and repeat

course lasts as long as you want below 10 minutes max, all the rest of the time is taken up with telling you what to do in case of a fire, where the bogs are, who the first aiders  are, when the next full moon is, when Lidl opens and all our additional,courses

Cynical?...me?!
You didn't mention the Kerching branded work clothes ,  boots , baseball caps  etc.