Can’t work our where switch lines go!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pieman544

Reaction score
So I’m a industrial sparks having a go at domestic (help!!!)

I’ve ran all cables back to one point in the loft.

From the point in the loft I have the following cables...

All 1.5mm t+e

1 Feed in from bathroom pull cord (1st point after consumer unit)

1 cable to Hallway switch

1 cable to 1st bedroom switch

1 cable to 2nd bedroom switch

1 cable to Hallway pendent

1 cable to 3rd bedroom switch (cable from switch to pendant)

1 cable to 1st bedroom pendant
1 cable to 2nd bedroom pendant

At the moment I have all neutrals together, al switch lines together and all lives together. I know it’s wrong but need some guidance.

I can’t work out how to connect them up! someone please help! (See picture)

May I suggest you sit down with a sheet of paper, (or several), and sketch out what you are doing.

Presumably you are using a large junction box, so its just a case of matching switch returns to lamp feeds.

Start at the beginning, get a piece of paper and draw out what you want to happen then draw the path of the live, I suspect you want each light to switch separately rather than one switch switches all lights? 

Darn you beat me to if Geoff! Split seconds

Thanks chaps I appreciate the advice, I’ve sat down a few times and can’t get my head around it!

I don’t know how to post pics on here but let me work it out and I’ll send a pic of what I’ve got.

Wish I just 3 plated the whole way round!

thanks again

Start at the beginning, get a piece of paper and draw out what you want to happen then draw the path of the live, I suspect you want each light to switch separately rather than one switch switches all lights? 

Darn you beat me to if Geoff! Split seconds
Yes mate I do and this is where the problem lies as I have all my switch lines together so when I switch one, it switches the others. 

I once had to do an inspection report on an install that an industrial spark had done, boy what an interesting install that was!! 

you have a perm live (circuit live) these feed down to switch. 
the return from switch then goes to light that it serves. 

I once had to do an inspection report on an install that an industrial spark had done, boy what an interesting install that was!! 

you have a perm live (circuit live) these feed down to switch. 
the return from switch then goes to light that it serves. 
Still hard to grasp.. sorry mate I think I need a diagram! 😭😭

You should have 3 plated to be honest , but not to worry . 

You need to have 10 posts in before you can post a photo   .  ( Its a spam thing )  
Cheers bud

Don't think so ,   remember that those Wago terminals are all linked together 

Don't think so ,   remember that those Wago terminals are all linked together 
Excuse me what I mean is, is it possible for all lights to be switched independently with this method of wiring. You hit the nail on the head that’s why all lights are on when I switch one switch!

Dismantle that bottom right hand wago block.  Its wrong.  Now connect the wire from the hall switch ONLY to the hall light, in a two way block.  Same again for each other light. Should be OK then.

You need to separate the S/Wires  to each room .

All the  lives together  so you have a L  to each switch .

All the neuts together.

The S/Wire comes back as blue  from switch and connects with the Brown to the appropriate light .  Just two wires in that one . 

Hallelujah I have seen the light! Thank you very much kind sir, I owe you a beer if you’re ever in London 🍻 

Dismantle that bottom right hand wago block.  Its wrong.  Now connect the wire from the hall switch ONLY to the hall light, in a two way block.  Same again for each other light. Should be OK then.
Brilliant thanks for your help mate 

If using push fits the single grey 8 terminal wago, should be 3x yellow 2 terminal wagos.

Doc H.