Do I have 3 phase?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markaaregan

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently moved into a new shop premises and had to get the first meter installed. Spoke to GTC who are the DNO and they said I have single phase so got a single phase meter installed. We are now pushing the boundary for capacity and my electrician has asked why I didn’t get 3 phase as it is available. DNO are saying it’s single phase but they were a bit muddled to be honest but sparkie is adamant it’s 3. Cut out has 3 100 amp fuses which looks like a 3 phase to me but how can I tell one way or the other?
CE00E281-2EB3-4FD4-BA64-B1F15F79D7D1_zpsnkx7ouyj.jpeg.516d671871108a331a4d4c098917f878.jpeg

you have single phase being used. the service head is used on 3 phase which would suggest it could be used if a 3 phase meter was installed. only way to know for certin is to remove the covers and check. this should only be done by DNO / meter compaany

you have single phase being used. the service head is used on 3 phase which would suggest it could be used if a 3 phase meter was installed. only way to know for certin is to remove the covers and check. this should only be done by DNO / meter compaany
Hi Andy, 

When you say remove the cover do you mean the individual fuse covers? I’m not planning on doing this but suspect I’ll have a fight with DNO, two neighbours have three phase as well, so want to be clear what they need to do. I suspect they have made a mistake as it took them nearly 3 days to find my MPAN and had to revert to engineers drawings to do so.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Andy, 

When you say remove the cover do you mean the individual fuse covers? I’m not planning on doing this but suspect I’ll have a fight with DNO, two neighbours have three phase as well, so want to be clear what they need to do. I suspect they have made a mistake as it took them nearly 3 days to find my MPAN and had to revert to engineers drawings to do so.

Thanks

Mark

yes. usually a phone call to supplier and asking for a 3 phase meter to be installed is better than contacting DNO
Yeah they are happy to do it, just didn’t want them appearing and saying this isn’t three phase! Thanks

A look under the bottom cover would tell you if there are 1 or 3 phases connected going in, but you should not really go removing that.

This is probably a rare case where I would suggest using a volt stick.  without opening or touching anything you are not supposed to, it will tell you if there is indeed a feed to all 3 fuses or not.

A look under the bottom cover would tell you if there are 1 or 3 phases connected going in, but you should not really go removing that.

This is probably a rare case where I would suggest using a volt stick.  without opening or touching anything you are not supposed to, it will tell you if there is indeed a feed to all 3 fuses or not.
Thanks Dave, tested and all 3 lit up like a Christmas tree! Now to fight with GTC to get my meter upgrade cost refunded as would have went 3 phase from the start if they told me the right thing to begin with!