Help urgently required!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jadda1987

Reaction score
Hi there. Any help greatful!

Recently had a electrician fit a bathroom. A heated shower rail has been fitted inside a shower no isolation cord and no more than a metre away from the shower in the actually enclosed shower door. Is this legit and legal?

Many thanks

Jadda1987

Walk in shower. Roughly 1.5metre long by 70cm wide. On one 70cm wall end is stud wall with shower on opposote end of wall is heated towel thermostat towel rail. All enclosed with sliding door one side and window on other side.

towel rails can be fitted in zone 1 providing certain conditions are met. same as an electric shower can be fitted, which everyone seems to accept but as soon as anything else is mentioned, fans, towel rads etc, everyone loses their minds and suddenly think its wrong and they must not be there

Don't think I'd be too happy with  it TBH  .  What is the IP rating of the Heated Towel Rail?        Don't the towels get wet ?      Please tell me its connected via an RCD  at least . ?  Is the rail connection plate in there too ?   Is that IP rated . ?   

Clearly the electrician misunderstood when you said you wanted a heated towel rail next to the shower! 
what was the description that you gave the spark, was he aware of the size of the shower? 
Are you saying that He installed the complete bathroom? 

I think we need more clarity before we can really comment.

Did an electrician fit a complete me bathroom/ shower room?

Did an electrician working alongside a bathroom fitter fit an electric radiator?

What certificates have you been given? If you are in England or wakes then you should have 2 imho

He fitted the whole bathroom (badly) dispute currently ongoing.

The towel rail is a ip44 i think - sorry not technical. There is a wire coming out of the bottom of the rail into a white.box on the wall. Badly sealed with mastic -gaps around where wire enters white box. This shower is to be used to wash my elderly grandmother in sat on a chair by a carer potentially splashing the rail behind her or the area will condensate with water which will collect on rail and white box. He messed the measurements up so then installed it in the shower area. He is a Elecsa Part P Approved Domestic Installer

IP44 towel rad is fine in there. the connection isnt. easiest way is usually to take it through the wall to the other side and connect there, or take the flex into the wall then further along the wall to a suitable connection point thats not in zone 1, lthoguh without seeing the shower / layout, it possibly is in zone 2

If said radiator is above the shower tray that places it in zone 1 ... so I recommend you as him, in writing, for a copy of the manufacturers instructions stating that it’s suitable for use in zone 1

have you got certificates?

if you don’t get satisfaction from him, I would recommend you take this up with elecsa, at least by doing that they will know about the issue..... having said that is he actually registered and currently a member ? 

Hope this helps

Thanks guys. This is a minefield. I obviously am not an electrician hence the lack of technical terms but the box with the wire coming down into it with potential to get wet really didnt sit right. Ive had another 2 bathroom fitters in for quotes and they both have questioned whether its legit. I would send a photo but not sure if i can on here?

I will contact Elecsa. Thank you all for your advice and help. Have a good weekend x

Thanks guys. This is a minefield. I obviously am not an electrician hence the lack of technical terms but the box with the wire coming down into it with potential to get wet really didnt sit right. Ive had another 2 bathroom fitters in for quotes and they both have questioned whether its legit. I would send a photo but not sure if i can on here?

I will contact Elecsa. Thank you all for your advice and help. Have a good weekend x

I think you need 10 posts before you can add photos on here

Quite apart from whether it is electrically safe or not, a towel rail inside a shower enclosure is not going to keep your towels very dry is it, so it's a damned stupid place for it.

Is there anywhere else it would fit or is the room so small that is the only space?

Did you not notice him fitting it there and discuss it with him and suggest somewhere else might be better?  I would be VERY carrotted off if a customer saw me doing something he was not happy with and did not mention it so we could change it, but then complained at the end when it would be a lot harder to change. Waiting until it is finished and then asking a forum if it is alright seems very strange to me?

Thanks completely get what your saying i am trying to get advice on behalf of a relative who was in charge. Unsupervised job left tradesman to get on with it - he is a sparky by trade but said he could fit bathrooms. The towel rail was completely idiotic for even a normal person to see let alone a sparky to think putting it in there was appropriate but again i wasnt over seeing so just trying to help resolve problem for a relative. I just need to know if a kebo box and wiring below the towel rail is legit practice?  And ip44 which I've read is ok for water spray but what if shower head accidently jetted water at it.... sorry if its vague Im just a 3rd party trying to get answers 😑

What is the rest of the job like?  If this is all that is wrong, get him to move it to somewhere better. 

This is what happens with no clear job specification and presumably not even a sketch of what is going where?

The whole bathroom has been poorly fitted. Toilet blocked with mortar/concrete...Would someone be able to advise me if a kebo box below a heated towel rail in potentially zone 0/1 is legitimate and safe practice?