240v/12v under cabinet lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMW

Reaction score
A 20w halogen bulb blew in my under cabinet lighting bar. I replaced the bulb with a 1.1w LED / 10w conventional. It worked but the 2 bulbs were different shades. When I added the 2nd 1.1w LED, it won’t work. When I turn it on (connect via wall switch to mains) it literally flashes on once and goes off. The bulbs have not blown because if I switch it on again, the bulbs will flash quickly once more and go off again. Any ideas how I can get this to work? Cheers 

A 20w halogen bulb blew in my under cabinet lighting bar. I replaced the bulb with a 1.1w LED / 10w conventional. It worked but the 2 bulbs were different shades. When I added the 2nd 1.1w LED, it won’t work. When I turn it on (connect via wall switch to mains) it literally flashes on once and goes off. The bulbs have not blown because if I switch it on again, the bulbs will flash quickly once more and go off again. Any ideas how I can get this to work? Cheers 

The 20w Halogens were an AC supply...

The LEDs (unless they have built-in drivers) will require DC..

i.e. Old halogen 12v lamps require a 230v->12v transformer

But the LEDs require a 12v Driver...

Similar but slightly different beasts....

AC/DC  could well be your problem …  

Strange beasts LED lamps

changed loads on a refit

12v 50W halogens off IBL electronic transformers.....2 per unit

about 80% of the new  LEDs worked off existing transformers , had to change the others to Corner Shop LED drivers, despite the Philips Core lamps being suitable for AC/DC. Now I just swap,the drivers as part of the job as I'm sick of the hassle and call backs

every day is a school,day