New switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davlea

Reaction score
I have a one gang two way switch with two L1 terminals at the top and two L2 at the bottom the new switch I have has 1 L at top and L1 and L2 at bottom it is a one gang two way also. Any ideas on wiring correctly would be great

Ok thanks that’s a bit of a problem I don’t think Screwfix do a intermediate switch in the range I have bought

I think your existing switch with FOUR terminals is an intermediate switch. So the 1g2w you have won't work.

Ok thanks that’s a bit of a problem I don’t think Screwfix do a intermediate switch in the range I have bought

Just to clarify a bit more.....

If the light that this switch operates has two or more other switches that also operate the same light then at least one will be an intermediate switch.

Basic concept being:-

1 switch operating light = 1-way switch  

2 switches operating light = 2x 2-way switches

3 switches operating light = 2x 2-way + 1x intermediate switch

4 switches operating light = 2x 2-way + 2x intermediate switches

etc..

1-way switch:  has 2x terminal connections.

2-way switch:  has 3x terminal connections.,  (but can also be used as a 1-way switch)

Intermediate switch:  has 4x terminal connections.  (but can also be used as 2-way or 1-way switch)  

Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks nozspark I did see that one it is slightly different but might have to do and very clear description special location. Cheers

Davlea,

I am facing exactly the same issue as you did. As Nozspark suggest I purchased the intermediate Lap socket he suggested. However the connections are L1, L2, L3, L4 and on my old one it is L1,L1,L2,L2. We’re you able to figure out how to connect them?  Thanks