On the subject of EV's ...........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The question is are we really that surprised? 
anything that is run by a privately owned business always costs more than it should, more than it needs. I wonder how much of that tariff goes to the national grid to improve infrastructure? 

just as an aside, what happens in the event that you are stuck in traffic then you run out of juice do they have to lift the vehicle and transport to the nearest charging point? Or do these vehicles release the motors and freewheel so they can be towed? 

just as an aside, what happens in the event that you are stuck in traffic then you run out of juice do they have to lift the vehicle and transport to the nearest charging point? Or do these vehicles release the motors and freewheel so they can be towed? 

no idea - but you can't tow an automatic car - so the breakdown companies should have this in hand

The question is are we really that surprised? 
anything that is run by a privately owned business always costs more than it should, more than it needs. I wonder how much of that tariff goes to the national grid to improve infrastructure? 

no idea - and when people use granny chargers (which they will) so I can't see how a different charging structure can work - unless granny chargers are banned ......... but that would be a daft move

so many questions, seemingly not many answers .......

There's a you tube video where six EV's were driven till the batteries were flat to compare real world range with quoted range. Also you find out what the vehicle does when the power has gone. Some you could still push, but one had its breaks locked on IIRC. 

Doc H. 

no idea - but you can't tow an automatic car - so the breakdown companies should have this in hand

so many questions, seemingly not many answers .......
you can tow an automatic providing you have the drivetrain wheels off the floor. 
but if as a MEWP or as Doc suggests the brakes are locked on or drive motors don’t release then the vehicle will have to be physically lifted onto a truck. 

8 hours ago, Doc Hudson said:

There's a you tube video where six EV's were driven till the batteries were flat to compare real world range with quoted range. Also you find out what the vehicle does when the power has gone. Some you could still push, but one had its breaks locked on IIRC. 

Doc H. 

That's all well and good - but shouldn't they have told us the cost per mile too?

My "take away" is like all cars don't believe the performance / range!

I don’t know many breakdown trucks that actually lift a motor? 
most have a dolly they can put under the wheels onto to drag it onto the body. failing that, you only need to move the braked wheels 250-300mm

well if youre stuck in traffic you wont be moving so no real loss of battery capacity.

failing that, there are companies who drive around with a generator to charge the car. powered by diesel / petrol though, not fairy dust

you can tow an automatic providing you have the drivetrain wheels off the floor. 
but if as a MEWP or as Doc suggests the brakes are locked on or drive motors don’t release then the vehicle will have to be physically lifted onto a truck. 

most MEWPS the brakes are designed to be released with no power / main battery. i.e a genie has a manual hydraulic pump to release them. others you disengage from the hubs. some have an extra (small) battery

most MEWPS the brakes are designed to be released with no power / main battery. i.e a genie has a manual hydraulic pump to release them. others you disengage from the hubs. some have an extra (small) battery

yes some do and some don’t but either way it is a faff just to move a vehicle. 

actually do electric cars have a handbrake? 

most have a dolly they can put under the wheels onto to drag it onto the body. failing that, you only need to move the braked wheels 250-300mm

well if youre stuck in traffic you wont be moving so no real loss of battery capacity.

failing that, there are companies who drive around with a generator to charge the car. powered by diesel / petrol though, not fairy dust
is that the case if lights are on, the entertainment equip is in use, never mind the smart technology running all the time? Little maybe but over a prolonged period of stop start queuing? 

oh I like the idea of the diesel trucked generator to charge cars, if that ain’t the environmental white elephant what is? 

How do the batteries fair in cold weather? Are they susceptible to lose charge quicker like tool batteries? 
I would imagine that EV would be better in Snowy conditions due to better torque? 

stuff like that will be using power, but not much compared to moving the vehicle. .

power usage just a complete guess here  but...

headlight LED. say 30w each 60w

sidelights 1w each. 4w

radio er... 10? 15w? no idea. go with 20w

rest of electronics sitting doing nothing 40w

so 124w. most stuff like that will be 12v. so 10amps.

a tesla battery is 375v so there will be something to lower the voltage.  power from battery will be 0.4amps. it has a capacity of 220ah. so really, 550 hours on a good charge. thats almost 23 days. so yea, sitting in traffic not moving isnt going to use much battery power...

is that the case if lights are on, the entertainment equip is in use, never mind the smart technology running all the time? Little maybe but over a prolonged period of stop start queuing? 

oh I like the idea of the diesel trucked generator to charge cars, if that ain’t the environmental white elephant what is? 

and after a brief search of google...

IMG-0738.jpg

How do electric vehicles fair with window de-misting and heating?  I recall seeing a couple of Nissan Leaf's during the cold weather before Christmas on the Motorway with very steamed up windows. Those functions must take a toll on the battery.

Doc H.

Good point Doc, I’d missed that one. 
do these cars have like a dynamo within that charges as it drives? 
I noticed the recent advert for the Lexus says it charges as it goes now. Surly this would have been a first thought :C