Thought this might be of interest .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard that  local councils  are looking at dimming their street lighting  , resulting in great savings  .  

I am no expert in dimming LED lamps so I throw this out for discussion .  

If the street lights were the old style , say 200W , incandescent light bulbs  and  they were dimmed to 100W  say,   ....the 200W  would be dispersed between the lamp  , now 100W  ,  and the old wire wound  dimmer  would  swallow the other 100W   .

So there would be no actual  saving  the load remaining at 200W 

However LED is an animal of a different colour ,   is there a reduction in current when leading and lagging edges are chopped I ask?       

Maybe you should off to be their technical consultant

down here, many street lights go off at midnight, then back on at 5 am .... after lots of complaints, they now go off at 1 am 

the cost to install the technology was enormous.

and people like me now have a front light on dusk to dawn ....

I'm going to have a go at Birmingham Council  on a slightly connected matter .......they are replacing sodium  street lighting  with LED   which seems a good idea  ( for once)   BUT  the usual  modus operandi   is  to dig ,  plant a new column next to the existing  ,  disconnect existing pole  , re-connect new pole ,  remove  old pole , make good pavement .  

BUT  the new poles are the SAME height as  the old ones  , I'm sure they are expensive , so why not just fit the new lamp head to the old pole .  ?

I understand that certain areas have very tall poles with the new lights , which I presume is to do light spread etc .       

Last edited by a moderator: