Ford focus electrical issue

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke1985

Reaction score
Hi, I have bought a 1.6 tdci focus edge 2014 reg estate that was some sort of fleet work vehicle previously. It has had a light on the roof that has been removed and seems to have previously had some kind of radio installed similar to one you would expect to find in a police car that has also been removed. The rear speakers and the steering wheel volume control are not working which I am assuming may be related to the things that were previously installed and may have not been reconnected properly upon their removal. I am wondering if anyone has any info on how to reconnect them properly or get them working again. 

Hello Luke, welcome to the forum. Unfortunately you may not get much help here, as this forum is mainly relating to Industrial / Commercial / Domestic AC mains electrical supplies. The are a few members who have some involvement with lower voltage DC auto-electrics. But you would probably get a better response from a more specific Car-Electrics type forum or even a Ford Focus owners type forum. Pop back in a few days, just in case someone does have some inspiration, But if no-one else does reply, its not that we are ignoring you. Hope you get your problem sorted.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
All you can really do is physically trace and examine the relevant wiring harnesses. It's probably been butchered somewhere to accommodate the communications set up. Such modifications are often quite obvious, involving the slicing open of a tape wrapped harness section and the use of those horrible little clip on connectors. 

If you need the wiring diagrams there is usually someone selling discs, (perhaps of dubious legality), of manufacturer's manuals, on e-bay. 

I would pull the stereoout and see if its had a hands free device like a parrot installed. I had a Cmax and fitted a parrot and the connector between the head unit and car wiring omitted the steering wheel controls. Might be as simple as that. Ford stereo withdrawal keys available on ebay couple of quid and radio code (if its going back in) also about a quid.