G5 rollout ???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear that there are health problems associated with G5   that are NOT being aired very publicly in this country.    

Switzerland and another country are looking at it but I've heard nothing here as yet other than it MUST be rolled out with great speed .  

I've always wondered what effects all the  various radio  frequencies & power lines have on folk .    

Working on a board change last year , the couple that lived there mentioned they had both had melanomas removed  , both from the face .      Across the road was the base of a huge pylon  where normally  a house would be  ,  about  20mtrs.  away.      I couldn't help but wonder TBH.   

seen a few fruit-cakes post non-sense about 5G frying peoples brains and killing things like trees next to lamp posts, where apparently the government is planning to conceal 5G transmitters so they can kill us all.  :facepalm: .

OK, so in reality there is a slight increase in the power transmitted, but we are talking signaling rather than power transmission, so I would doubt there's any serious issue to address. However, I tend to agree that with all the radio / satellite / wifi / mobile phone signals bouncing around our cities and homes, the cumulative effects should be researched.

Personally I think they should stop trying to get a better system before they’ve got close to perfecting what they’ve already got, otherwise why keep wasting our money. 

It woud be good if we could get 4G across the whole nation, or as we used to say a 'Universal Service' like the post office. Alas private companies will never do this unless forced to as places like the Outer Hebrides will never make money for them.

It woud be good if we could get 4G across the whole nation, or as we used to say a 'Universal Service' like the post office. Alas private companies will never do this unless forced to as places like the Outer Hebrides will never make money for them.

I'd be happy with 3G working across my "patch" , not bothered by 4G and even less so by 5G

Masts need to be shared ................. which some are already ........... but proper roaming in the UK would benefit us all

I'd be happy with 3G working across my "patch" , not bothered by 4G and even less so by 5G

Masts need to be shared ................. which some are already ........... but proper roaming in the UK would benefit us all

I don't even think that sharing masts is enough..... 

Why do we have several networks, each with their own aerials/masts , using the same frequencies in the same area?

Surely we should be looking at increasing the coverage by land area rather than population?

I don't even think that sharing masts is enough..... 

Why do we have several networks, each with their own aerials/masts , using the same frequencies in the same area?

Surely we should be looking at increasing the coverage by land area rather than population?

aren't you contradicting yourself?

my point is that is masts were shared properly, then more masts would be installed , giving better coverage ..........

O2 and Vodafone spent hundreds of millions less than ten years ago to start mast sharing, they've had a fall out and are now going back to their old individual sites.

As for the frequencies, exactly the same as previously used but due to bandwidth restrictions at higher frequencies and speed issues more antennas are required to keep up with capacity. Around the 800 MHz range the signal can radiate for miles and bang through obstructions quite easily, when you get to 2600 MHz it's very short range and bounces off most things hence poor reception inside buildings.

Although the 2600 MHz band has only recently been used for mobile networks the RAF used it for many years for the defence RADAR network so we've all been nuked pretty much since birth.

......... I mean't that we should have a single network that all the operators use and pay into,,, rather than most of the areas being covered by multiple different networks
but where would that leave 'free market capitalism', competetion is supossed to be good!  

REminds of the days under Thatcher and the original broadband rollout that reulted in 3 different companies digging up all our roads and pavements 3 times to install 3 sets of cables..... firkin stupid! Basic infrastucture, in my opinion, is best served by the state as  single universal installation 

firkin stupid! Basic infrastucture, in my opinion, is best served by the state as  single universal installation 
It is firkin stupid .     My problem is  I support private enterprise  and state control seemed to take a stranglehold on  enterprise .  

I grew up with the GPO  controlling ALL the   telephone system   (except Hull)  ...ALL  letters ..ALL parcels..ALL telegrams .... and I believe ,  the licensing of Amateur radio ...public broadcasting  & transmission .  etc .

Looking back there was a lot of state control  here  , much like Communist Russia  .  All government monopolies.

Telephone  system.

Postal  system Parcel system. 

Telegrams .

Electricity   generating.

Electricity distribution .

Gas supplies.

Water .

Railways.

Road transport .

Health service   ( no problem with that  TBH) 

Waterways .

Coal .

Steel .

Education

BOAC        (Aircraft)    

BBC 

Channel Four .  

Edit;    I agree with Binky  on digging up roads over & over , and yes masts should be shared  .

Not sure about Broadband .   Correct me if wrong , I often am,    I see three main Broadband  services  ...Sky  via satellite ....Virgin via cable ...everything else  using the BT system  .     

Last edited by a moderator:
and how many of the privatise industries are providing a hollistic public service better than they were under state control ?  Now I don't disagree that they needed improving as they had become fat, lazy and beaurocratic, but they did provide a sevice to the entire country, not just the bits that pay most, and you did silly things like not send profits abroad.

Sky  via satellite
Sky broadband uses the BT network with their own head end racks in the exchanges.

REminds of the days under Thatcher and the original broadband rollout that reulted in 3 different companies digging up all our roads and pavements 3 times to install 3 sets of cables
Maggie stopped BT putting fibre into all our homes in the 80's putting us a round 20 years behind the rest of the world for domestic internet.

as they had become fat, lazy and beaurocratic, but they did provide a sevice to the entire country, not just the bits that pay most,
Yes thats a good point . 

Sky broadband uses the BT network with their own head end racks in the exchanges.
Ah  right !  I thought you had a dish for Sky.   Thats just for  television then .