Sharp LC-42XD1EA LCD TV

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening,

My vintage LC-42XD1EA Sharp TV has given up the ghost. Must be coming up 20 years old! First it developed a horizontal line (row of missing pixels?), now this:

20200225_175422.jpg

Not even taken the back off yet to look for any obvious blown caps etc.

Anything to look for?

Cheers

You've got the idea already.

It's always worth looking for dodgy electrolytic capacitors in any electronic gear a few years old, perhaps look for burned high wattage resistors at the same time, but otherwise you've had it.

Commercial repair is unlikely to be feasible and certainly uneconomic at that age.

Not had the back off the TV yet, I know, slacker!

Swapped it out for a 42" Hitachi. The HDMIs weren't well on that so swapped THAT for a 37" Panasonic Viera plasma. Both the Hitachi and Panasonic were a tenner each from a closing down old folks home. 

Pure coincidence I'm looking for some cheap "perspex". The front of the Sharp telly feels like it might fit the bill. Seems like there's a bfo, seperate "screen protector" in front of the actual LCD screen. 

Anyone stripped one down that far to know?

Cheers

I have stripped several LCD screens down, a couple of times in an attempt to repair backlight tubes.

You might be lucky and find perspex in front, but not normal.  Normally it  is literally the LCD screen then some layers of opaque plastics to disperse the light and make the backlight even, then in the case of this old set it will be a few ccfl tubes to light it.

Put the circuit boards from the set on ebay, you might get a few ££ for them.