Explaining SPD’s to your costumers , eyes glaze over

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trebble3

Reaction score
Is it just me , but now days we have to explain the “importance” of spd’s to our costumers , but I find some just look at us like we’re trying to rip them off ?

"They just might save your TV or laptop if there's a power fault or nearby lightning"  . . . . .   "Even a good extension lead has them these days"

and how often do we see lighting damage to appliances? I get the functionality and what they do, but even in a house that suffered a direct hit that I tested, the appliances were fine.

And none so far know that under the 18th edition RCD's are required for lighting circuits, irrespective of installation method .............
And that, for example on a bathroom refurb, you cannot put the lights on an RCD fused spur as these are no longer recognised in BS7671, which was nice!

Nope

NO oversight

done intentionally

so,.....bathroom refurb

little old lady with no money

MCB Board

no RCD

run lights through RCD spur ....simples! 

not any more it ain't 

Done intentionally - what make you think that?😀

they are still readily available ..............................

Last edited by a moderator:
At no point did I ever say they were not available

what I did say was that they are no longer recognised under BS7671

there was a thread on this a few weeks ago

however i am quite ill at present so will,invite @Sidewinder. To join in and explain.....unless of course I have completely misunderstood myself!  Which is very possible

Last edited by a moderator:
At no point did I ever say they were not available

what I did say was that they are no longer recognised under BS7671

I was teasing you ....

I was in a 1999 house today - not an RCD in sight ........... prospective customer simply not interested in hearing about the regulations as they are now ............... its all very tedious and boring