Is a short course domestic installer course worth it?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie girl

Reaction score
Hi there, 

I worked as an electricians mate for 10 years on a part time basis, this was up to 2014, am now considering doing a short course domestic installer course to enhance my knowledge and start a career as an electrician - but is it worth doing this or am I better off finding a company who would be willing to train me up? 

Any advice greatfully recieved! 

best speak to a local college and see what courses they have. if you already have some experience with electrics that will help.

avoid the short courses. not really worth it and the 'qualificaions' youll get wont be worth much

Concur with our learned colleague. 

You will probably know more than the short courses can teach you :C  so why bother investing money in a pointless cause. At least with the correct qualifications and your previous experience you should find it much easier to obtain work afterwards and or during.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Good advice there , I'd agree with them .   Try to get in with a firm that will give you some training  and hopefully  the right courses too. 

This week I saw in practice what I usually advise on here .....on my wholesaler's counter was a pile of print - outs left by ,  like yourself , a girl  looking for a job with a local electrician .      Had it been 20 yrs ago when we were very busy   I'd have been in a position  to  take someone on  .   I wish you luck , its not easy  these days .  

Listen and take heed of Andy's comments, good advice!, Plus if you have a reasonably local college that offers C&G electrical courses, try and arrange an appointment to chat with the head of their electrical dept, to explain your background and discuss a plan to bring you up-to-speed with current wiring regs. Plus contact all the local companies you can to see if or what other options may or may not be available. But the bottom line is short courses are, in my opinion, as valuable as a cheap-weekend-break in a costal hotel that has had 5 guests diagnosed with Coronavirus from the previous week! You may come out clean or it may be a big regret + waste of money!

Doc H.

I just re read your opening post , didn't clock that you've done 10 yrs as a mate .  

I'm going to change my  reply slightly .

I was thinking , get in with a sole trader or a contractor ,  probably have to do any courses at night school .     If that doesn't work out ,( and its not easy to get a start these days )  ,

I'll go against my basic instinct on "Short course training "   and say  do it , BUT make sure you are taking the correct theory course. 

Short courses concentrate on Domestic installation ...there is a whole other facet to the trade which you won't be covering .  

I say this because you must have picked up 10 yrs of useful experience already .  The other thing is I think there may be a shortage of electricians in not too distance future ,  I'm seeing a lot of 100 yr old sparks like myself who  are semi retired but not so many younger ones .      Manager at my wholesaler reckons the 100 yr old brigade spend more than the full timers.      

Just as an aside do you have any relevant qualifications such as level 2 cg2330,cg2365? 
If so you may qualify for the mature entry scheme whereby you’ll only need to do the lvl3 NVQ and AM2 ? 

Just as an aside do you have any relevant qualifications such as level 2 cg2330,cg2365? 
If so you may qualify for the mature entry scheme whereby you’ll only need to do the lvl3 NVQ and AM2 ? 

Isn't 2365 thought more of than 2330? Thinking ECS cards etc. 

(I've l3 2330).