kt62 kewtech

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon1138

Reaction score
hello 

i have the above tester and the manual does clear things up for me. i am new to the testing process and not too sure how i can use all the functions properly. the pscc test is just that, no pefc. 

the pscc test is

select range 200 2000 or 20kA

connect the three test probes

red probe to phase, black probe to neutral and green probe to neutral, (this would require attaching the neutral and earth probe together)

ensure that the two green P-E and P-N led s are on( i think this is checking polarity before testing)

press test button

thats it

then it says, "if the psc ranges are selected whilst connected to a socket outlet via the mains lead, a test will take place between phase and earth due to fixed wiring of the moulded mains plug i.e a phase-earth fault current test."

that is all it says, i am not sure how to get the pefc at the board. i am thinking that the neutral and earth probe stay together and test again between phase and earth? i am not sure if this would damage the tester though. 

any help/advice would be great

thanks

simon

thanks for the reply, its pretty much what i got from kewtech online help. what i am still unsure of is where the probes go for pefc or if i can do that test. i was told that both tests are pretty much the same thing. incoming voltage over impedance of circuit being tested, either neutral or earth loop. so i am assuming, which i dont want to do, that both leads stay together for that both tests and the position for pefc changes from neutral to earth? after reading posts of people blowing up their testers i dont want to do that here.

thanks nozspark 

It sounds like you have got it, it simply conducts a pfc test between the live and earth probes, if the earth is on earth, this give you PEFC, if its on neutral it gives PSCC. The tester also has a neutral lead for the return for the electronics in the tester, now ideally this will always be on neutral, so on PSCC you have N&E stacked together, on PEFC not.

If you do what Noz does and always live them stacked together when doing earth loops, you should be aware that you are powering the tester itself from earth, this can be a risky decision, the tester will do its best to prevent a dangerous condition from the test current down the earth probe if the cirucit is open earth (its limited duration, and it'll monitor voltages while testing and not let you if things look wrong. Putting the neutral on the earth is just like connecting any other load between live and earth, it'll work, but is potentially dangerous if the earth is open. Im not saying its something you need to avoid completely, but you should be aware of the risk if the earth turns out to be open

It sounds like you have got it, it simply conducts a pfc test between the live and earth probes, if the earth is on earth, this give you PEFC, if its on neutral it gives PSCC. The tester also has a neutral lead for the return for the electronics in the tester, now ideally this will always be on neutral, so on PSCC you have N&E stacked together, on PEFC not.

If you do what Noz does and always live them stacked together when doing earth loops, you should be aware that you are powering the tester itself from earth, this can be a risky decision, the tester will do its best to prevent a dangerous condition from the test current down the earth probe if the cirucit is open earth (its limited duration, and it'll monitor voltages while testing and not let you if things look wrong. Putting the neutral on the earth is just like connecting any other load between live and earth, it'll work, but is potentially dangerous if the earth is open. Im not saying its something you need to avoid completely, but you should be aware of the risk if the earth turns out to be open
thanks pheonix, this is the sort of information that i am looking for. i wanted to know exactly what is going on with tester and this answered some question. where can i find more like this?

all the best

simon