Daisy chaining PDUs in a server cabinet

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomatoKetchup

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have asked in a colocation center about introducing some new hardware (servers and storage) but I need extra power outlets. we have 2 power feeds with 16A A+B so 3,7kW per feed.

each feed is connected  to a first PDU (8 sockets, it powers servers and other network gear), this PDU is chained to a second PDU (8 sockets). I need more sockets so I could daisy chain a 3rd PDU but I have been told to be careful because if I chain PDUs all the load is supported by the 1st one. Is that true?

I have asked on subreddit but I cannot get a confirmation, see here for pictures: https://www.reddit.com/r/electricians/comments/fcys5p/power_strips_for_server_cabinet/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Not only is it true it can end in tears

if the data is important then it needs individual feeds and UPSs and gEneratos and aMF panels. And n+1 as a minimum( the sites I work on are a minimum of n+4/5)

if the client considers the data unimportant then do what you want BUT remember than when it does go wrong younwill get the blame anyway