A Switch to go between two EV Car chargers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul2129

Reaction score
Hi guys, hoping you can help. I have one 7.2kW EV car charger wired up with the relevant RCD, and an isolator switch. We're having a second (3.6kW) EV charger in the same location (because it's a different plug to the car) I'm aware that the supply with only support one charger at a time, I need a switch that I imagine something rather like an isolator, (I'm not sure if it's in place of the isolator) but it has an "A", "B", and 'OFF', is that possible and straightforward for an electrician to fit ?

any help (or links) much appreciated 

thanks

Paul

thank you for your help, I'll check it out !

I'd seen this type of thing, but it kept mentioning generators, so I thought I was looking at the wrong thing

thanks

might be my mistake, it's 16Amp ? it's the fastest charge the Vauxhall Ampera can take, and there is a reason though, I think the mobile lead that I've been using is about 2.4kW, it's a bit of a pain as it requires you to change a setting in the car to 10amp every time you want to charge (I think it's supposed to be a safeguard because it doesn't want to stress your plug socket, it defaults back to 6Amp next time you drive, its a proper pain) so firstly a proper wall mounted charger avoids this settings change, the car knows it's safe to draw 16amp from the wall charger and it also charges around 50% faster than I can get from the standard plug socket.

Paul