Micro Hydro head sensor issues

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jane HB

Reaction score
Hello, I have a micro hydro scheme (6kW) and the turbine is fed by a weir about 1/4 mile up the hill. It is currently not working apparently because the head sensor cable may be damaged (possibly by a lightning strike) - this following the costly replacement last year of the mother board, also due to a lightning strike. So, two questions: 1. Does anyone know whether it might be possible to feed the info from the head sensor to the mother board via wifi/phone signal (reception not brilliant here), in order to avoid having to bury another cable (it’s not my land) ? 2. Can the motherboard be successfully protected from lightning damage? - being on an exposed hill, it’s very vulnerable.  I’m afraid I’m not an electrician, so my technical know how is VERY limited! 

I would be very surprised if it can be WiFi linked given it is hard wired from new. As for protection then this is a prime example of a requirement for a surge protection device.