Induction hob question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan C

Reaction score
Hi there - my Mother in law is looking to buy a new build which is beyond the kitchen fit stage, a gas hob has been installed and she would prefer induction.  The hob is above a built in single oven.  The builder is unable to swap this out and there are good incentives for her to go ahead with the purchase and consider swapping this out later.  

We'll get someone in to swap this out but what I'm trying to understand at this point is how big a job this is.  

Is it likely to be a simple case of adding the hob to the existing oven feed or will a new feed be needed which will obviously be a fair bit more work and potentially invasive work to the structure of the house. Can anyone tell me what rating the oven feed will need to be to allow the induction hob to be fed from the same feed?  

I'm planning to ask the builder what size / capacity cable and breaker has been fitted.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

forgot to add - we have twin ovens fed from a 40a circuit and an induction hob fed from a new 32A circuit which was added when we had the kitchen updated so I expect it was done this way as the load of 3 appliances would have been to great for one feed.  Hoping the MIL's situation is a bit simpler!

It may be feasible to use the existing oven circuit to supply the oven and an induction hob .....

only a site visit by a compentent spark could really tell you AND then it would depend on the combined loads of the oven and hob

be warned, the last few new builds I have looked at have been with so many corners cut it may not be possible without a new circuit

Last edited by a moderator:
The built in single oven may not even have its own circuit. Assuming the single oven is less that 3kW then it may be just connected into a ring circuit. In typical builder cutting corners principle mentioned by Murdoch.

Doc H.