Any lampost experts on here.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK so whilst investigating some failed communal lighting I opened up a lampost - found my problem, cable wasn't connected. However, I also found a few surprises:-

1/ cable used was split concentric not SWA.

2/ neutral and earths jammed in same connection, so effectivley creating a PME arrangement.

So question is, is this a safe way of wiring lamposts set into the ground, or has someone not understood what split con is?  NB all bollard and lamposts lights have been wired in the same way on this small private housing estate.

20200317_113618.jpg

20200317_113930.jpg

Yes  We had this a few years ago I think ,   pretty sure the use of split con  is outside the remit of  BS7671 .        

I suggested using it when doing some street lighting on a university campus ,  we were struggling to physically make off SWA  glands inside the  access covers .   Long time ago but was told we couldn't use it .  

I thought PME  couldn't be used on Street lighting . 

split con is defo out of remit as there is no protection of the live conductor, ie the neutral. Wasn't so sure about the PMEing of the equipment - I get the feeling that it's 'old school'??

split con can be used however its treated the same as T&E. i.e it has no mechanical protetion

used it often on street lighting but only on poles with overhead supplies - DNO would then connect it to the cables at the top

TNCS can be used on street lighting. see section 714