Advise please on a new re-wire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Male

Reaction score
Hi all, I would appreciate some proffessional advise on a recent re-wire my friend has had. Im not 100% up on regs for domestic property and also sure about workmanship practices but I know this is a bad job. I want to go back to the contractor but Im gathering some 'truths' first before I start. This was a 3 bed house in Birmingham area and cost £4500. Ive added some pics to give you an idea but Im mostly concerned about 1. clipped wiring not covered in protection, 2. the wiring is not channeled its level with plaster so how do you cover it?, 3. isnt the wiring into the consumer unit supposed to be enclosed or glanded to keep the fire aspect safe?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_20200320_1158558.jpg  IMG_20200320_1136442.jpg  IMG_20200320_1135597.jpg

IMG_20200320_1135539.jpg  IMG_20200320_1135378.jpg  IMG_20200320_1135310.jpg

IMG_20200320_1135104.jpg

plsNuZLYj

plSmWaBTj

pm3VQQCdj

pmtfg7lDj

poqRjqQ4j

pmVg1V96j

pmZeKKLKj

Do you have the full  path to where the images are?, we have just got a list of filenames with nothing else

So what is the issue?

Did the electrician say he would re plaster?  Or was it agreed someone else would re plaster?

Or is is a complete surprise to you that he had to hack the plaster off?

So what is the issue?

Did the electrician say he would re plaster?  Or was it agreed someone else would re plaster?

Or is is a complete surprise to you that he had to hack the plaster off?

Read my point, how do you cover the cables with plaster when the cable is on the same level? The whole wall would have to be plastered 'thicker' to cover the cables. And your term of 'hack' the plaster off tells me a lot.

Wont the clip nails corrode and bleed through plaster over time? Shouldnt the cable be mechanically protected?

Last edited by a moderator:
From the pictures, the worst I can see is sloppy workmanship. I doubt if anything shown contravenes regulations.  Granted it would have been better if the brickwork had been chased to sink the cables further.

From the pictures, the worst I can see is sloppy workmanship. I doubt if anything shown contravenes regulations.  Granted it would have been better if the brickwork had been chased to sink the cables further.
So cables do NOT have to be mechanically protected under the regs? Just clipping them like that is ok? DB board cable entry is also acceptable under regs?

cheers

Steady 🐯 

capping not required but for "protection from other trades during construction"

glands not required as entry is not covered under fire ratings BUT it is covered under the IP ratings and it looks like this may fail IP for horizontal surfaces

nails don't bleed through as they are galv....unless some el cheapos  have been used

what did original written quote/estimate say regarding chasing of walls etc?

my opinions only so are likely to be wrong as I am fairly new to this

Steady 🐯 

capping not required but for "protection from other trades during construction"

glands not required as entry is not covered under fire ratings BUT it is covered under the IP ratings and it looks like this may fail IP for horizontal surfaces

nails don't bleed through as they are galv....unless some el cheapos  have been used

what did original written quote/estimate say regarding chasing of walls etc?

my opinions only so are likely to be wrong as I am fairly new to this

Im happy for all opinions for sure. Im not domestic house experienced as such but Ive never seen such crappy work. I had just presumed cables were to be capped but if not then I have no argument, certainly wouldnt be how I would do the job thats a fact.

Biggest issue is the cable is flush with the plaster surface so theres no room for coverage. 

Admittedly from the pics it is as rough as Onansanyas driving and the cables should really take a skim of plaster BUT there is no set depth for them in the big book

its rough BUT I've seen a lot worse for a lot more money

i/we would be interested to see a pic of the board with the 'door' open and if possible/safe a pic of the insides

Im happy for all opinions for sure. Im not domestic house experienced as such but Ive never seen such crappy work. I had just presumed cables were to be capped but if not then I have no argument, certainly wouldnt be how I would do the job thats a fact.

Biggest issue is the cable is flush with the plaster surface so theres no room for coverage. 

The problem is..

I know and you know this looks like a pretty low-end job for its installation quality..

BUT....  Is it electrical unsafe, or does it present any immediate danger???

And you also have to remember the fundamental concept that cables can be, and very often are, clipped on the surface of a wall...

So there will never be any reg stating they should be buried...

But if they are buried, enclosed etc..  

There are regs about safe zones, and depths requiring RCD protection

So..

what it comes back to is what did the written agreement for the schedule of work to be carried out state was going to be done??

Or was there no written agreement??

Playing the devils advocate ..    your Mr limited skill set electrician could claim he was never asked to bury any cables!!..

As Murdoch says..   have you any paper work for the job?

I notice there is an NIC logo sticker on the board..   Have you double checked you bod is a valid member?

If he is, could you give there complaint procedure a try?

https://www.niceic.com/find-a-contractor/complaints

Guinness  

The problem with these types of threads, where the op claims to be “industrial” is that there are so few regs different in domestic versus industrial surely a read of the big book is good enough ......

some rough work, especially in regards to the covings, but capping tends to leave a shallow skim of plaster that falls off at a later date unless set quite deep.

I encountered a job like this some time ago, turns out cowboy concerned was paid cash by customer after a cheap job - you get what you pay for! 

Read my point, how do you cover the cables with plaster when the cable is on the same level? The whole wall would have to be plastered 'thicker' to cover the cables. 

The simple answer is call the spark back and tell them that your plasterer needs the cables to be deeper in the wall

Certificates? Invoices? CPS registration number ?

Depending whether or not the spark is willing to re-work the channels, your cheapest solution may be to dry line the rest of that wall, fill over the cables, and skim the lot. You need a plasterer anyway.