Ideal Logic+ combi grinding noise

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregd72002

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We have been having some issues with our 8 year old Ideal Logic+ combi boiler.

A year ago or so it was loosing flame during CH so we had the ignition electrode and flame sensing electrode replaced by a gas engineer. It seemed to have fixed the problem then.

Now we have a different problem - occasionally the boiler makes a grinding noise. I managed to capture it on a video below. This is what we observed:
- it happens during CH (can wake us up in the night)
- grinding noise for around 5 seconds (on the video the noise was longer than usual)
- slight gas smell when it happened with front cover opened
- display sometimes shows 'Flame loss' but it recovers by itself and starts to heat normally

The boiler in general works normally and we do not need to reset it or anything like that.

I am looking for an advice in here - what's the rough cost of fixing this? Or would I be better off replacing the boiler?
I have been already charged £300 to have the electrodes replaced.

Thanks for any help!
Gregory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5h1QEDd8Ww

Thanks Dave! This is very helpful already. It is just strange that it does sound like so only sometimes. Shouldn't I expect the noise every single time the fan starts if there is a problem with the bearings?

I have a computer fan like that. It makes that noise for about 2 minutes every time the computer is turned on then quietens down.  Bit it does really need replacement, it is not going to get better.