How long can we carry on?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the title says, how long before we are shut down?

Lots of talk of closing all "non essential" businesses.  I guess that's wholesalers and even on line suppliers shut?

Is an electrician "essential"?   I would say yes to repair a breakdown, but no if the job is just fit some fancy lights.

Tomorrow or Wednesday when the emergency bill is passed we are likely to find out if we still have any employment or not.

First minister in Scotland has already ordered "building sites" to close.

Personally I have a handful of small jobs I want to complete tomorrow in advance of the new law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point Dave  , we shall  know more tomorrow .     It could well be further reduced  ,  many bigger High St shops  closed ,  Costa etc  ,  church services , sport .  

In Italy I just heard building sites are shut down .

Is an electrician "essential"?   I would say yes to repair a breakdown, but no if the job is just fit some fancy lights.
Power loss and repairs I'd think should continue ,  dangerous condition stuff perhaps. 

I have a tv aerial to fit for an old lady just moved into a new house.  Is that essential?  I would say yes or she will go stir crazy self isolating with no television.  CPC have just emailed me to say it's been despatched.

ill be working whatever jobs i can get into. a fair bit i work pretty much on my own and away from others anyway, although cutting back on non essential domestic jobs or other jobs where there too many people about, but i do plenty last minute stuff of its broke go fix it now, so thatll continue. joys of working in places that will continue to stay open

other than that, got loads of stuff to do at home. started doing some ground work for new gates over a month ago but never finished it... all the steel & wood for the gates is sitting there untouched for best part of 2 month... looks like they will be getting built and fitted in the next few weeks.

Well - the local pay and play has issued guidelines and as long as they are open and I have time, I'll be off to the course - my mates and I frequently good off in odd directions so keeping 2 m apart shouldn't be an issue😀

There is also the list of DIY the misses keeps adding to...........

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly all my diy work consists of building a large out house unfortunately I believe after tonight the merchants might be closed :C  still opportunity for a bit of fishing (there’s always at least 5m between fishermen.) 

So our glorious leader has STILL not defined what is essential.

"Only go to work if it is essential and cannot be done from home."

So is fixing an electrical breakdown essential?  I fully understand changing a light fitting just because they want a fancy one is not.

do I really have to hope, and leave it to the judgement of the policeman that might stop me and ask me where I am going whether my journey is essential or not?

Who is going to be the first to phone DSS and say I am self employed and I have been told not to go to work, what benefits are you going to pay me and when?

I’m interpreting ‘essential’ at this stage as being anyone that has to go to work which can’t be done in the confines of your own home, thus putting the onus of safety on the individual, it also saves him spending more than necessary at this point, I suspect that in the coming weeks it will be essential that we all stay at home. 

to make it an offence a law has to be passed. the definition of essential should be in there, otherwise they will have a hard job trying to enforce it. ive looked but unlike the one for shutting pubs etc, i cant find anything yet

but as proven by all the people flocking to be together yesterday, people are stupid and need removed from the gene pool. shame the virus lacks that facility

to make it an offence a law has to be passed. the definition of essential should be in there, otherwise they will have a hard job trying to enforce it. ive looked but unlike the one for shutting pubs etc, i cant find anything yet

but as proven by all the people flocking to be together yesterday, people are stupid and need removed from the gene pool. shame the virus lacks that facility
Yes a certain cretin who lives in the capital comes to mind! 

This unprecedented situation is a nightmare for all of the political elite .... no time for wish washy maybes ...... decisions have to be made ... then later, with hindsight others will start scoring political points

its clear from the weekend photos lots of people aren’t taking this seriously so more had to be said .....

so my planned golf has gone down the same drain as most of my work.

tomorrow morning is 1/2 day in an empty flat ..... so I think this is ok 

after that ..... who knows 

All far too vague (deliberately probably), no definition of 'essential' and no indication of essential to who. 

At this point, whereby the self employed are offered no real support, I have decided it essential for me to continue to work in order to put food on the table.

Whilst doing this I will maintain a 2 Metre distance between me and others.

And who might that be? I certainly wouldn’t want to be Boris’s position, he becomes PM and has to deal with the whole Brexit fiasco because one walked away and the other sunk, then soon after getting that moving he is landed with the worst pandemic in decades to deal with, what did you do at work today?