self employed or PAYE?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not for me...

my mam was PAYE for a company. she left there for a 6 month break. now she's been offered some part time work there, along with a few other places. whats going to be best for her? PAYE at 2, possibly 3 companies, or self employed?

not for me...

my mam was PAYE for a company. she left there for a 6 month break. now she's been offered some part time work there, along with a few other places. whats going to be best for her? PAYE at 2, possibly 3 companies, or self employed?

If any of them offer a pension she should take that paye .... 

If any of them offer a pension she should take that paye .
I was about to say  Self employed  but the chance of a pension fund  could be very useful in later life .        Or go SE  but start her own pension  , if she does work for 2 or 3 firms , invoices them  etc   if her earnings are below whatever the limit is  she wouldn't pay tax .     Most important though is to buy  the FULL NI credits  for her State Pension . 

I was about to say  Self employed  but the chance of a pension fund  could be very useful in later life .        Or go SE  but start her own pension  , if she does work for 2 or 3 firms , invoices them  etc   if her earnings are below whatever the limit is  she wouldn't pay tax .     Most important though is to buy  the FULL NI credits  for her State Pension . 

People forget that an employer puts in 3 or 4% into their pension ....or more in some cases

Well if it is his ma, I assume she isn't far off pension age and would it be worth her while starting one. 
interesting point, but as you can draw out all pensions contributions these days and invest elsewhere, then you need to look at it from the perspective that the company have given her extra money.

Latest posts