Chancellors statement 26th Mar @ 5pm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone found the actual government wording on this?

I have a feeling I am going to be shafted.

The statement mentioned "where the majority of your income is from self employment"

WHAT if, you earn some from self employment but earn just a little bit more from property rental?  They could argue I am not earning my majority from self employment. 

If the rental income is not self employment then what is it?  It is not employment.  So are Landlords the last ones not to be covered by any protection?

On the plus side, if our self employed tenants get the SE support, then hopefully they can still pay the rent.

I guess the devil will be in the detail.

the way I understand this, now, is that HMRC will contact the people they consider it applies to,

simple for me as 100% of my income comes from being SE so fingers crossed we will be ok

I guess the devil will be in the detail.

the way I understand this, now, is that HMRC will contact the people they consider it applies to,

simple for me as 100% of my income comes from being SE so fingers crossed we will be ok
I'm crossing my fingers BUT doing it whilst sat on the bog with a packet of Imodium waiting

Here is the word from the gov https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-coronavirus-covid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme

It's by invitation only.

They average your earnings over the previous 3 tax years, NOT the current one that has not quite finished.  And over that period my SE earnings is more than 50% of my total taxable even including rental.

I understand it is paid as a taxable grant.  So I guess you would show it on your accounts as a lump sum income.  I believe you can still work, and there is an expectation you will continue to work when it is all over and continue to work the following year.  If your earnings with the grant go over the tax threshold then you will be paid tax on it, so worst case you are taxed on the grant.

Well I’ll be short changed. 

Well .... surely something is better than nothing. That’s the way I’m looking at it

Are you all still alllowed to work?? How do you feel about going into peoples homes to do stuff. Ok?? or a big no??

john..

Interesting question. I’m not planning any internal work for the time being. .... and there is the small matter of the police stopping you and asking difficult questions.

i think they need to start with trades peoples van with 2 or more occupants 

Yes, but leaving aside the financial implications, what i am getting at is, the people next door want me to go and arrange a 40A feed to their new shed, It involves henlys, a small consumer unit and a load of SWA blah blah.. Given that the bloke works away sharing a house, i do not know what they have got, and as i work at the hospital [i am home for a bit as i do not feel right] they do not know what i have got..

TBH, i do not want to be going in other peoples houses.. I am 58 with a bad heart, courgetteed if i want corona virus, especially if i do not get it in a good cause, [the hospital

Given what is going on, would any of you go in other peoples houses, especially as they no doubt want to hover over you..

Have the government told electricians NOT to work then???

john..

Have the government told electricians NOT to work then???
Last I heard they said  ..."Plumbers can do repairs etc  as long as they don't have the virus & they observe  the 2 mtr rule "       Presumably that includes electricians , heating engs doing necessary work  .  

[i am home for a bit as i do not feel right] they do not know what i have got..

TBH, i do not want to be going in other peoples houses.. I am 58 with a bad heart, courgetteed if i want corona virus, especially if i do not get it in a good cause, [the hospital
I'd give that a miss if I were you Apprentti. 

Are you all still alllowed to work?? How do you feel about going into peoples homes to do stuff. Ok?? or a big no??

john..

I think the question about going into peoples homes needs two sub-sections....

(i) Previous customers who you have a good knowledge of their general personal hygiene and honesty... etc..

(ii) New customers who you have never met before.  

Previous customers who you trust to be honest to divulge if they have had any known contact with anyone currently unwell. (at home or work)

AND..

whose property you already know your way around and where the fuse-box is etc..  

AND..

you know they will pay their bill promptly...   no good doing work to improve your cashflow, if they don't pay on time!!  

-VS-

New customers where you are going in blind !!

I have been doing work at four Previous customers this week.

1 on Monday

2 on Tuesday

same one on Wed & Today.

(Yesterdays and Todays larger job was in a empty property working alone...

and no one else has been in the property for approx. 6 days)

All of Mon & Tues Three customers were home whilst I did my work, but once the front door was opened, they went off into a different room and left me to get on with my work...

I don't think I would bother attempting to visit a complete stranger!!!

Guinness

Anyone used Screwbits or ToolyStation recently...

Looks like its "Click & Collect" only..

You stay outside with a queue barrier and speak to a bod standing by the door..

Who calls the bods inside to find your order and pass it out the door...

Thank Goodness its dry and sunny at the moment!!!!!!!!!!! :Salute

Thanks all!!

I will give it a miss, all they care about is getting their hot tub working...

Makes you wonder though, they have got a 6 month old baby too, corona virus will do it a power of good..

Think they are a bit keen to get me to do it as i heard them saying something about they asked electricians adn got told that it would take two of them all day and cost £600 They asked why it took two people all day!!!!

I swear people think it is like putting a 13A plug on, and VERY few people can even do that properly..

Mind you, at least they listen and when you tell them what is needed they just go out and buy it..

john..

Anyone used Screwbits or ToolyStation recently...

Looks like its "Click & Collect" only..

You stay outside with a queue barrier and speak to a bod standing by the door..

Who calls the bods inside to find your order and pass it out the door...

Thank Goodness its dry and sunny at the moment!!!!!!!!!!! :Salute

I went to collect something the other day and i was like that. I turned round and went home, i do not want to be near ANYONE in a shop or elsewhere..

john..