Invoice help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plmtclf

Reaction score
Hi...

had an invoice for supply lewden Qfs-mx16m complete with rcbo’s and surge protection, supply 16mm swa cable to connect new board to main supply. Supply fused switch at main supply point.

there are 8 rcbo’s on the consumer unit

new board to main supply no more than 5m.

invoice is for over £600 (exc labour).

i can’t see how this can be more than £300 or am I missing something!

thanks in advance!

No estimate as he was recommended by a mutual frien.

Just assumed it would be cost price for materials. Labour was £215 alone. 

without seeing the job, I would respond to him and say something like "thanks for the invoice , I assume this includes all labour costs. On receipt of the electrical and Part P notifications I will settle this bill in full"

And see what they say.

Where are you in the UK?

South devon. He had someone helping (under the floorboards etc) who I paid cash on the day (only £100).

thanks for your advice.  

Yep, I’ve got no concerns there. He’s coming back to put some sockets in once kitchen fitted, but I just know he’s taking the p*ss with the invoice for these parts!

OP why the drip feed of info it makes it harder to make a comment as to whether the cost is reasonable or not

From what I’ve seen online.

main board £100

fused switch £50

rcbo’s  (x8) £120

swa cable (5m) £30?

100% markup?

I get the materials you show  to approx.  £ 480.00   Incd. VAT  .     (Board priced on a Hager )  

I'd say the labour was reasonable  .  ( Obviously I 've not seen the job )    at  £215   .  Then you had to pay his mate the statutory  £100  / day 

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to get western power in to fit something as he wasn’t allowed to touch their supply (I’m a bit vague on this - sorry!).

main board £100

fused switch £50

rcbo’s  (x8) £120

swa cable (5m) £30?

100% markup?
Main Bd                                                               52.00 

Fused  Sw.                                                         53.00

RCBOs   X 8                                                      188.00

Cable  X 5m                                                        30.00

Glands                                                                       8.00

Meter tails                                                           12.00

Surge protection  thing                                 53.00

______________

396.00            Trade price  no mark up 

VAT                 79.20        

_________

£       475.20          +   £ 125  mark up       26%   ish            

You probably didn't need the Surge protection thing  unless you are in  high lightening strike area .       Just my opinion .                                                     

Last edited by a moderator:

main board £100

fused switch £50

rcbo’s  (x8) £120

swa cable (5m) £30?

100% markup?

If you only purchased those items you would be missing some other parts I can see in your photographs. Labour sounds cheap to me. From the information given it sounds more like a classic example of not agreeing a schedule of work and an estimate or quote of the expected price before the work commenced.  Assuming this person is doing the work as a business not a charity, then a reasonable mark-up for all materials should be expected, as you don't normally get other products at cost from many businesses. (Possibly some level of discount for bulk purchases). I can understand why you may feel this is a bit high, but also I don't think its is a low as you are suggesting. Bottom line you need to discuss this further with the contractor to see if you can come to some amicable agreement. 

Doc H.

That’s great thanks - not as bad as I thought the ! When I saw the board for £100 online (with surge) I thought it was way out, but your breakdown has calmed me down a bit! 

Latest posts