High pitched noise

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoSmithUK

Reaction score
So every day I can hear a high pitched noise in my living room and it’s driving me nuts. It lasts around 3-4 mins then stops, restarts for another minute. It can come at different times of the day. The only time I can stop it is when I turn off the kitchen electrics switch at the fuse box but this isn’t a feasible solution? Does anybody know what’s causing this noise?

Could be coming from a variety of things, one trick is to put a screwdriver handle end against your ear then the pointy bit onto the casing of all the different electrical items and hear if you can hear the noise more noticeable.

Apparently there was an energy saving light in our house making a high pitch noise last week, changed it and all good.

I didn’t hear it due to my constant tinnitus I can’t even hear the cooker alarm, but my wife has bat ears that can even hear a bottle of beer opening at the other side of the house in a different room.

Happy hunting and please let us know when you find it.

smoke alarm? co alarm? (both needing new batteries)?
Agree  ....CO  alarms are often sealed for life  then start bleeping when the unit reaches the end of it's life .  

I had  a high pitched noise in my van last year whist driving home ,  driving me up the wall  ............  turned out to be my mains testers were shorted out in toolbox . 

Agree  ....CO  alarms are often sealed for life  then start bleeping when the unit reaches the end of it's life .  

I had  a high pitched noise in my van last year whist driving home ,  driving me up the wall  ............  turned out to be my mains testers were shorted out in toolbox . 

Had that on site too. Hear strange noise, hunt around only to find my basic tester shorted out in my tool bag ....

Scrunch an empty crisp packet next to your ears a few times. 

Clears the ringing from my ears for 15/20min at a time. 

Saves having music on all the time to drown it out.