12 v cooker hood won’t work with the transformer I bought

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun fl

Reaction score
Hi guys. Bought  a 12 v cooker hood for my kitchen.   It has two lights built in. I connected it up only to find. The fan won’t work and the lights are dim.  Could I possibly have the wrong transformer the make of the cooker hood is a  Baraldi.   Can someone help 

Does the cooker hood not come with a power supply?

By your description the transformer is too small, the manufacturer should state what size power supply is needed.

I've never come across a 12v cooker hood - so I might be wrong but what makes you think you need a transformer? Maybe its got 12v lamps and I would expect the transformer to be built it.

What does the rating plate say ?

What do the manufacturers installation instructions say?

No instructions only bulb size indicated. These are used  for caravans etc but we do very little hob cooking.  And was the exact size I needed  it says it can use 40watt incandescent lamps  or 20 watt halogen lamps.  It may have a transformer fitted but if I wire direct to mains at this point it may blow it up.  Thanks for your reply 👍

Does the cooker hood not come with a power supply?

By your description the transformer is too small, the manufacturer should state what size power supply is needed.
Hi. Only the  two core supply lead already fitted comming from the cooker hood  came with very little instructions only bulb sizes  says 40 watt incandescent  lamps or 20 watt halogen lamps.  Thanks for replying 👍

No instructions only bulb size indicated. These are used  for caravans etc but we do very little hob cooking.  And was the exact size I needed  it says it can use 40watt incandescent lamps  or 20 watt halogen lamps.  It may have a transformer fitted but if I wire direct to mains at this point it may blow it up.  Thanks for your reply 👍

If I were you I'd be on the Currys (or similar) website buying a 230v unit .............. do NOT connect that to the mains

As its designed for a caravan it will require 12volts DC, which would normally be drawn from a car style battery capable of outputting quite a large current.

At a sheer guess you could be looking for 10amps. (40 watts of lighting alone is about 3.5 amps, the fan motor perhaps twice that)  

If you contact the maker they should be able to tell you the actual figures.

You could in principle get a transformer/rectifier that will do the job but it wouldn't be cheap. 

Hi it’s a 240v -12v.   3VA. 50/60hrz       
For a start that does not tell me if it's AC or DC output. I suspect it is literally a transformer so will be an ac output. that would run the lights if powerful enough but probably not the fan.

And it's rated a 3VA which is 3 watts.  No wonder it won't even power the 40watt lamps.

I suspect you need a very minimum of 100 watts and it MUST be DC output so the correct description for what you want is a power supply, not a transformer.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a start that does not tell me if it's AC or DC output. I suspect it is literally a transformer so will be an ac output. that would run the lights if powerful enough but probably not the fan.

And it's rated a 3VA which is 3 watts.  No wonder it won't even power the 40watt lamps.

I suspect you need a very minimum of 100 watts and it MUST be DC output so the correct description for what you want is a power supply, not a transformer.

Thank you so much. For your help   So do I need  a 100 watt power supply and not a transformer  or do I need a transformer with a bigger output  bigger than  3 watts 

No it must be a power supply with a DC output.

The 100W is a guess.  Do you have a multimeter?  If so you could connect it to a car battery and measure the current it draws and then you would know for certqain what size power supply.

The 100W is a guess.  Do you have a multimeter?  If so you could connect it to a car battery and measure the current it draws and then you would know for certqain what size power supply.
Thanks again Dave for your help  I’ll give this a try and let you know how I get on 👍🏼👍🏼

Sorry to bother you again Dave. If I got a 150 watt output would this damage anything having to much wattage  👍🏼

Latest posts