Loft light location

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this from the EICR I'm doing this morning.

Just wondering what the MIs would say about the location of this light fitting?578FED0A-E531-492C-B5D2-69B7DFE0A06C.jpeg

I am more interested in what looks like a bit of singe insulated red cable going into the light fitting.

I meant to mention that but forget and when I did I couldn’t edit the post

The red single is the PL running to the junction box which feeds the lights and fan - that’s marked as needing improvement too.

One of these situations where you ask, what was the thought process behind that, probably just got the answer well it works doesn’t it.mmmmm

Found myself wishing to ask the same question of Scotland’s CMO, can you just talk me through your thought process that justified you actions.

Clearly the single red has no sheathing to improve its heat dissipation ready for when it is later buried under 200mm+ of loft insulation.

Doc H.

One thing I REALLY hate these days  is lofts with a 10 ft deep later of bloody fibre glass  where you cannot see where to put your feet .   I'm really not into wallowing that lettuced  trying to find cables etc.    Any new wiring I do is just chucked on the top of the damn stuff .  

Surely they could have gone with , say  , solid sections say 2m long   X  16 to 18 inches wide  to fit between the joists but not overlapping them .

Some years back now the builders damaged a cable  right in the eaves of a loft .  I wanted to get off home so like a fool dived up there without finding a mask ,   lay on belly , face near the lagging , lift damaged 6mm cable  short end tight under roof  ,    cut , strip ,  fit a JB   , restore power .  

Two days later , trouble breathing  , couldn't walk to the loo in the night without gasping ,  doctor referred me to the asthma clinic etc  ...suddenly   dawned on me  ...lying in that damn fibreglass  , having to disturb it , no mask , stupid boy !!   

Only good thing about it was ,  thinking it was something far worse , gave up smoking .    18 years -9 months , 3 weeks , 4 days 5 hours ,15 minutes 22 seconds ago   ....  doesn't bother me now though .   :C   

Builders just don't consider maintenance. Throw it up and run.  

I did a semi retirement job as maintenance at a care home. A new wing was built whilst I was there. It was about fifty metres long with a loft that was all criss-cross timber and no walk boards at all, topped of with a foot of fibreglass. All the services were at one end and the access hatch at the other. 

Builders just don't consider maintenance. Throw it up and run.  

I did a semi retirement job as maintenance at a care home. A new wing was built whilst I was there. It was about fifty metres long with a loft that was all criss-cross timber and no walk boards at all, topped of with a foot of fibreglass. All the services were at one end and the access hatch at the other

That's just crass stupidity

I once went to look at an immersion heater in a small care home (converted domestic bungalow) asked if they knew cylinder was "In the loft" and was shown to where the access was, bit of a kryton factor challenge to get there, and then the immersion hater was on the far side, so moved around the tank, hold on a momment, whats that recessed bit of board on the floor, stuck driver in the edge and flipped up, and yes, a second access, right in front of the tank, from the bathroom (good job no one was on the toilet at the time!), shouted for someone to drag my steps through and heard plenty of comments like "I didn't know that was there in the bathroom"