Where can I go from here?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil-in-kent

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just joined this site, so first post. Hope everyone is well in the current climate!

Can you help?

I am 45 years old, and have been retraining between shifts on a full time job (Non Electrical) for a few years and now have my 2365 Level 2 and 3.

In January I also got my 18th edition sorted. I am looking at Domestic work, and am now at the stage when after studying, exams etc.

I now want to get myself out there working, getting experience. I have been told that I need Part-P then I will be able to get in touch with NIC, NAPIT, Elecsa etc.?

I'm ideally looking at helping out, working with somebody in the Kent area...hopefully with a view of still doing that when I get signed off with a Competent Person scheme because I'd be aiming to go part time with my current job while I get experience.

I've worked on sites before, so I appreciate how much of a nightmare using taking someone new on can be (People don't turn up, no tools, not interested) its all on trust.

I am just looking for advice on how to take the next step and the best route to go? If anybody can anybody give me a few pointers that would be much appreciated.

I have been told that I need Part-P then I will be able to get in touch with NIC, NAPIT, Elecsa etc.?

You dont "need Part P" as such unless you want to do just notifiable domestic work. You become "Part P" approved if you like by joining a scheme. There will also be "full scope" / Approved Contractor options as opposed to just domestic installer. 

You join a scheme with one of the above you mentioned (don't forget STROMA as an option). The qualifications they require will be on their respective websites. Some ask for 2391 also. It'll be a few hundred a year to be a member, you'll need insurance, calibrated test gear and a few latest edition books; the regs, OSG, GN3, EAWR etc. You'll need to show a couple of completed installs upon joining and annually thereafter to one of the scheme's assessors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much for the response. 

It gives me a starting point from here so I really appreciate that.

At this stage, pre-scheme...would the completed installs need to be work done with an established sparky, or can it be bits i've done on my own?

Cheers.

Most people tend to do their first assessment jobs just before joining a scheme. It's maybe a bit iffy but hey ho. You've really got to go through with it (joining) if you've done the job beforehand though!

If you can , do a couple of jobs yourself ,   make sure you test them & fill in a generic test cert .  Don't worry about not being registered ,  you have to have a job to show them .  

ELECSA only ask to see one job .        Stroma & NAPPIT are now combined  , as are ELECSA & NICEIC  .   I don't think there are any others now .   

And remember ,  they do not exist without your cheque every year so they are not going to be too hard on you .   Don't let joining a scheme phase you , if you are competent  and you get all your ducks in a row  like OnOff says  above  you'll  be fine .  

Stay on board and let us know how you get on . 

Thanks very much for the advice, much needed.

Really appreciate that, I will definitely stay on this forum and update how it goes.

Cheers

Do you have a copy of approved document P, electrical safety in dwellings? download a copy from here if not.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrical-safety-approved-document-p

Section 3 describes the methods for meeting the requirements for notifiable work, which includes the option of an electrician who is not a member of one of the approved schemes. i.e. you should be able to do whatever domestic work you like and where appropriate contact the local building control to come and verify the Part-P compliance aspect. (they will charge a fee for this). But technically you should be able to do work which can then be used as sample site(s) for an assessment to become a competent person in your own right to sign off your work. You should be able to find your local council fees from their website. Not all councils operate the same, some are happy to just see a copy of your qualifications and a generic electrical installation certificate, others want to come out and do a few checks on site.  

An interesting twist to the whole Part-P concept is that it is the homeowner who is legally responsible, not the contractor, to ensure all relevant work is notified, just the same as if they put up an illegal extension on the back of the property. (property owner applies for planning permission not the builder). And there is a time frame between completing a job & notifying a job. So it is also possible to sign off an electrical certificate, then have a competent person assessment, before you are obliged to notify for building regs Part-P compliance.  

But basically there are options to work around getting jobs done for assessment before you are fully able to sign off the whole job yourself. 

Doc H.