Is there a better way?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. I built a large garage/mancave next to my house a couple of years ago. Mancave part has comfy seating running water, electricity etc and now (thanks to 25mm conduit I ran under the concrete from house when I built it) I have a cat 5e cable and a coax which will reach to the sky box in the lounge.  I have a TV set up in there (primarily as I use the treadmill in there a lot) it passes the time when slogging away on the mill. Currently I have an aerial outside and can get freeview. I was thinking of connecting the coax to the back of the sky box 5v supply and using one of them 'magic eye' remotes. Is this the best way to go? I dont want to run more cables from dish and would like to be able to between sky/ freeview when needed (sky in lounge would change channel whenever I changed it in mancave) not everyone in the house would be pleased about it. Not really had a lot to do with these kind of things so interested in potential solutions.

Thanks

James

I missed this the first time around.

Only the older sky boxes had the RF out facility.  Does yours have it?  If so you can connect RF OUT 2 on a sky box to the tv aerial in and tun it in as a analogue channel on the tv.  The picture will not be briliant and it will only be mono sound.

How far is it?  you can certainly get long HDMI cables up to longer than 10M and with an HDMI splitter behind the sky box you could get a decent picture.  I do the same at home, sky box in cupboard under the stairs feeding 2 tv's with long hdmi cables.  Done mainly so there is no clutter at the wall hung big tv.

I use a long lead and an HDMI splitter to give an additional TV in the conservatory. Mine is a Virgin box and Mrs, (main user) controls it from her ipad.

Don't know if you can do the same with a sky system.

Only thing about HDMI leads is they are a pain to install, as you can't take the plug off so they need a huge hole through walls, etc. 

Would probably need 20m long under floorboards and then through a 2m length of 25mm pvc conduit with a spring formed 90 degree bend then clipped around the garage woodwork. Quality not paramount nor is stereo sound. Its just a mancave with exercise equipment. How about switching between sky/ aerial?

Would probably need 20m long under floorboards and then through a 2m length of 25mm pvc conduit with a spring formed 90 degree bend then clipped around the garage woodwork. Quality not paramount nor is stereo sound. Its just a mancave with exercise equipment. How about switching between sky/ aerial?
What model of sky box do you have?

You don't switch between sky box and aerial.  It is designed for that,  You feed the aerial in to the sky box "RF IN" socket and then the sky box "RF OUT 2" socket goes to the tv;s aerial socket. Then you can tune in to either freeview, or the analogue out from the sky box.

A bit of extra work if you don't currently have a tv aerial cable going anywhere near the sky box.

Which comes with extra cost.
I understand that Dave,but by the time you’ve gone to all the trouble of getting the cables routed etc is it really worth it? I could also suggest an iptv player which will give you access to hundreds of channels for a small annual fee and runs through the internet? Similar to fire sticks etc? 

TV aerial is bolted on to the garage and comes in next to sky cable. Sky is the sky + box not q so not feasable to feed aerial into sky box. Just interested to see whats possible. already have another sky box and a multiroom (£12 a month) subscription so not paying sky any more money! 

A sky+ box will have the RF out 2.

Just join the rf cable from the sky box and the tv aerial cable with a "splitter" then into the tv aerial socket.

Old post but just incase anyone else needs help, best option will be SkyQ with a mini box especially if you can get it at half price. RF2 sends a pretty analogue signal but you can also use HDMI baluns over cat5 or 6, plenty of options on amazon.