Connect led strip to main light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Que

Reaction score
How do I connect an led strip in order for it to be switched on with my main living room light? I'm creating a dropped ceiling with a led strip going around. Can someone help please. What type of led strip will I need to buy. Thank you.

Tricky question to answer directly , but do remember it will have a driver which will need to be accessible as they do go wrong.

does the lighting circuit you intend to modify have rcd protection?

The choice of LED strip is yours. You can buy a single colour type, in cool or warm white or a range of other colours. Or a multi colour type which you can set a tone or set changing and fading colours. I have the latter in my conservatory. Obviously there is then a controller module, which you need to buy with the strip to ensure compatibility.  There will be a remote control to set it as you desire.

All strips require a constant voltage supply. Most are 12volt, some 24.  A unit converts 230 volt mains to the DC supply for the strip, and may be referred to as a DRIVER, or a PSU, (Power Supply Unit).

The only safety critical part of the job is connecting your mains supply, which if you want it switched with the room lights  needs to be taken from that light point.

On switching on, the LED controller may or may not remember the settings you made. (Not an issue if you choose single colour strip).

My personal preference is to supply a multi colour LED strip and PSU from a 13amp plug and rely on the remote control to set the strip mode.  You can then use the strip without the "main" light, giving a nice restful ambient light.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a slight tangent ( what me? Never!)

anyway I put a multicolour one in at home....cheap and cheerful 🇨🇳 💩, this was about 7/8 years ago and surprisingly it still works. It remembers what colour you had previously BUT whenever you change channels on the TV it reverts to green!

just saying
Agreed! Just certain keys on my TV remote will switch on or change colour of the strip. Fortunately the strip controller doesn't affect the TV.