Re- Lighting & Socket Requirements on this Project

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy2Rivers

Reaction score
I was wondering if you could help us out has I'm presently working on a 4 Storey Platform for a project for the Oil and Gas Industry.

Now this Platform is basically for Welders to work on now there is a Power Source that is a Permanent Fixture in a building containing 110v,230v and 400v connections and these connect in a way like a long extension lead using Caravan type Hook-up Extension Leads to the 4 Storey Platform structure.

Cables used for this structure are for 110v Single Phase Neutral and Earth Cable (32A),230V 32A Single Phase Neutral and Earth Cable and for 400v this is 32A 3 phase Neutral and Earth Cable which connects to the Platform itself.Now the Lighting on the Platform is in the form of 26W LED Type Lighting of there are 3 sets  of these on each floor but my question is what type of cable would run the lights to power them up would it still be 110v 32a Single Phase Neutral & Earth Cable or would it be Twin & Earth 1.5mm2 Cable.And the Sockets for the office containment on the first floor would they be of 2.5mm2 or 4mm2 and not 230v 32A Single Phase Cable.I Can understand there is a interface connection for the Welding Equipment this being 230v Single Phase Neutral & Earth Cable Connection. So was wondering has to your thoughts on the sockets and the lighting on this structure?.

Regards

Jimmy2Rivers

In an offshore environment you will be using some exotic type of flex that withstands extreme temperatures and various chemicals. (you would be surprised at the variety of such exotic cables I see around here used to wire peoples sheds, must have fallen off the back of an oil rig)

I would have thought you would have had some training in all the different regs that apply to your environment. Well outside the scope of just BS7671