Storage heater cable burning out slowly?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyL

Reaction score
Hi

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post? The cable wire (in my storage heater) which connected to the charge controller keeps burning out slowly. Please check the photo attached.

Does anyone have ideas? And can be fixed easily?

Annotation-2020-05-04-001706.png.be75390295b0c66f9b29d9581bf14e12.png
Annotation-2020-05-04-002008.png.331fa6d8355de5853930e472f00f6b55.png

Annotation-2020-05-04-002008.png.331fa6d8355de5853930e472f00f6b55.png

dodgy connection. needs a new crimp on the end and cut shorter, or replaced

looks like the controller its connected to is also burnt and will need replaced

Last edited by a moderator:
If you replace the controller and rewire the burned cable, make sure the OTHER controller connection is clean and goes back really tight, otherwise that one is likely to go next. Better still renew it.

Once those push on terminals start getting hot they loose their spring and get hotter still until they self destruct.

I was thinking to replace the whole fibreglass heater wire. But, I saw the bottom connection like picture below. 

Do you think that is possible to replace the whole fibreglass heater wire?

hNQNqPX.jpg.79bbd1da19f3e77936f84631ac8c1f26.jpg

I'm not sure what I'm looking at there, but it appears a burned mess that needs replacing.

Thanks that make sense

I will probably need to cut it and reconnect it (as images attached). Any suggestion, what connector good for heat resist? Or should I get the same connector for FGS Storad Heater

Annotation-2020-05-04-193019.png.557fa62ebad8b14d971e9e5dfb5cac15.png

Annotation-2020-05-04-193214.png.b35787cc2ac0e3974391298f225ad0d8.png

12.jpg

13.jpg

That looks to me to have been badly bodged up. I would not have expected to see soft plastic terminal block in a storage heater. It should at least be hard bakelite type or preferably ceramic. 

All I can suggest is that, assuming the basic heater is serviceable, (and hence worth the trouble), all the overheated wiring, terminations and terminal blocks should be replaced, restoring it to original state.    

I am also inclined to think that for your own safety this should be done or at least checked by a  qualified electrician. A bodged up storage heater could start a fire.

What make and model is that? And if it’s quite old take care as some can have asbestos in them.

with many damaged parts I’d think carefully before wasting money trying to repair it - I would say there is more going on than you suspect

What make and model is that? And if it’s quite old take care as some can have asbestos in them.

with many damaged parts I’d think carefully before wasting money trying to repair it - I would say there is more going on than you suspect

Hi

It is FGS STORAD SH912A (SH Range) storage heater. Is this a very old model?

it looks repairable, but use porcelain connectors and the fiberglass insulated cable only , it looks like someone has already tried to fix it (poorly), you should replace all the parts that are heat damaged this way you might not need the connectors, (the less joints the better)

try here  "Electricaire Electrical Wholesaler" or here "Capri Calvert Electrics Ltd"

just look them up on the net 

If you ARE going to fix it yourself make sure that the fusible link or overheat trip is there/serviceable.  I wouldn't trust that whoever has been at that heater hasn't wired it out.

That is WELL and truly bodged.

That will have originally been porcelain or some other high temperature terminal blocks.  For some reason, some prat has put ordinary plastic choc blocks which rather predictably have melted.

The old story of spade terminals used for currents over say 10A   , problem  exasperated by being in a heating unit .    The other problem on there I can't really make it out but certainly needs upgrading .