Renault traffic 07 giving problems in wet weather

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyshea

Reaction score
Hi. I bought a Renault traffic 2.0L 2007 last year during the summer.  It worked great till November.  During heavy rain it cuts out and loses pressure.  It runs fine in idle, but as soon as you give a bit of gas it starts spluttering and choking. Give it 30 min with engine turned off and she goes fine again till next puddle on road. Now it's also happening on damp misty days.   Seannorm had same problem in March 2019. Forum "Renault traffic cut out when it's raining".  I hope someone can help. Please. 

Diesel, but yes I agree. If it was petrol I would clean distributor cap and possibly change cables. Thanks though

Have you had it scanned for codes? It could be something as silly as sensor getting damp and shorting our throwing the engine into limp mode? Take a look around the lower engine area for any thin cables going to engine block then check for any deterioration to cable sheath possibly a crankshaft sensor? 

A misbehaving EGR valve, (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) on my old Ford van gave similar behaviour to that you describe but was temperature related not dampness. Different make but I think they all have EGR.

Yes. Tried scanning for faults and nothing comes up. Even as the problem is occurring.  No faults are picked up by scanner.  Will check EGR valve. That sounds like a possibility.     She drives perfect in dry weather.   Now she won't even go more than 1km In damp weather before she starts acting up. she is running fine in idle put as soon as you give any acceleration she chokes and splutters.  What a pain. 

Don't know if this is relevant but might just help. On my Ford the EGR valve was electrically controlled but used vacuum to operate it. (No idea if they all do that). The guy who diagnosed it for me simply took off the vacuum pipe and sealed the end, leaving the electrical cable connected. This deactivated the valve without the ECU "knowing" and the engine ran fine without it.