Not so newbie says hi.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jez Sang

Reaction score
Hi to all.

The company that I have been with for 35 years have just advised me that I’m being made redundant, which is a bit of a body blow.

When I left School in 1978 I did an Electrical Apprenticeship in Portsmouth with the Department of the Environment Property Services Agency and came off my tools in about 1985.

I really have the urge to go back to Electrical work as I really enjoyed it.

I qualified C&G 236 pt 1 and 2 and also 235 pt c (I think it was pt c) All this was to the 16th edition.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to requalify so that it’s possible to get back out there on my tools.

Thanks all.

Jez

I made this point to someone on here last week  , similar situation .      You are already an electrician ....I repeat ...you are an electrician and always will be .     

So you could be doing industrial & commercial work tomorrow  ...just do it !!!!!      You do not need to re qualify ...stuff that  ,  it'll cost you a fortune !!!  

If you are looking at the domestic market .....in all honesty you could still just do it ...you ARE an electrician .   However as you may know  you virtually HAVE to join one of the clubs to be recognised as ...." competent"     ( Remember this word)   

You are competent .  You're an electrician .

You'd need to join one of the Competent Persons Schemes  ,  I see no problem with your self other than they will probably insist you take a refresher for the 18th edition.  

And pay them around £500  of course .    

There are four schemes operated by two companies , so really theres just  two.

NICEIC   & ELECSA

NAPITT & STROMA 

Stay with us & let us know how you get on .       DO NOT SIGN UP FOR ANY COLLEGE COURSES   other than 18th  edition . 

Thanks so much for that. I have kept my hand in over the years with housbuilding projects etc that I did the electrical work on and got Building Control to inspect and sign off so it’s more likely just surface rust in my case but like everything in this world things move on and the last thing I want to be is unprepared. I am looking at MJ electrical training to do a distance learning 18th course and I think part P may also be useful.

PART P Is NOT a qualification!   It never can be as it is a Building Regulation

"part P Qualified"  in my opinion is akin to a Baker being capable of using flour

BEFORE you part with ANY money come back on here and ask!.....we may be able to save you a lot of  money and heartbreak 
Will do, and thank you.

AND do research - what is your goal? - if its to go self employed, and you live in England or Wales, you need to review the CPS's and see what their "entry" requirements are.

Then is SE is your goal do you have any experience of running a business? Have you thought about the costs of being SE? (about £6K per year is my guide)

I’m probably showing my ignorance but what is the CPS. (All I could think of was the Crown Prosecution Service And once was enough for me....joke)

SE is one route for sure but if possible I’d like a permanent position at a company as a regular pay check is all I really need tbo.

I’m probably showing my ignorance but what is the CPS. (All I could think of was the Crown Prosecution Service And once was enough for me....joke)

SE is one route for sure but if possible I’d like a permanent position at a company as a regular pay check is all I really need tbo.

Competent Person Scheme....

Various bodies who you pay a fee to be "Assessed" as competent to self-certify and notify your work as compliant with BS7671 AND Building Reg's Part-P....

You are then listed on the "official list" of competent persons able to do domestic work within the scope of Part-P building regs...

http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/

( Also using the find a contractor postcode search, can be a handy tool to see how much competition you have on your doorstep going after the work you are hoping to get. )  

Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I see. Is not the CPS a bit chicken and egg scenario. You need to be competent to do the job but you need to have done a job to be assessed. When I was on my tools my last couple of years was sub contracting so NICEIC wouldn’t inspect as it wasn’t my work. Has that changed now?

Ah, I see. Is not the CPS a bit chicken and egg scenario. You need to be competent to do the job but you need to have done a job to be assessed. When I was on my tools my last couple of years was sub contracting so NICEIC wouldn’t inspect as it wasn’t my work. Has that changed now?

the correct way is to notify the job to LABC for them to oversee it and sign it off, you can then use that job to show the scams

in reality, you could always notify it afterwards...

The competent person scheme relates to being competent to notify your work as compliant with Building Reg's to issue a Building Regs Compliance notification..  

Which by default should also mean you are electrically competent to issue BS7671 electrical certificates..

But...

You don't have to be a member of a CPS to do notifiable work...

i.e.

A DIY'er could still do work then pay the council to do both electrical testing AND Part-P compliance..

An electrician who is not a CPS member could do work..

Issue an electrical certificate then pay the council for just the Part-P compliance..

These methods are described in Approved Document P that you can download..

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/approved-documents

So technically you could do work to use as an assessment for CPS membership... whilst paying the council their notifications charges...

But a CPS membership assessment typically just covers BS7671 competence, Copies of regs books, Suitable test equipment, Insurance, Knowledge of testing and correct documentation of electrical certificates..etc..

I don't think they actually verify if a 'first assessment job' has been notified....

unless things have changed???

Your local council should have a list of fees in their building control charges to cover the above options..

e.g. our local council "Dudley"  have a PDF, which the last two pages (5 & 6) cover the various Part-P applicable charges..

https://www.dudley.gov.uk/resident/planning/building-control/fees-for-plan-submissions/

So I think it is technically possible that you may have completed a job...

That you then get assessed on for CPS membership..

Before your LABC, get round to coming and doing their checks for Part-P compliance...   

Guinness