Sign in to follow this  
kerching

Lockdown garage clearout discovery

kerching
1 hour ago, Evans Electric said:

To start chucking it out  or move it from A to B  as I do .? 

It is forum/public knowledge that I am an MCB millionaire 

Wylex HB 30 anyone?.....BRAND new in sealed box of 10

Evans Electric

I hate to break this to you Kerch but every one of us has a great pile of MCBs  that we'll hardly ever make use of .       They won't become like Bitcoin you know . :innocent 

kerching

Seriously?

i am gutted!

but maybe, this time next year Deke, his time next year!

Phoenix

Unless... You have got any of the K tripping curve for those HB boards, then they are possibly worth a bit

kerching
21 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Unless... You have got any of the K tripping curve for those HB boards, then they are possibly worth a bit

Are they the Stötz /ABB ones?

if so...........get the holiday booked 

Phoenix

I beleive they are, some also said BBC on them for some reason (I'm guessing they might have been introduced especially for the BBC, or something like that)..... hold on I've just seen refernece to Brown, Boveri & Cie.... so nothing to do with the broadcasting corp (even though the logo was underlined like the one on TV) now who are they, and why?

EDIT: Ah, one of the original companies that later merged to become ABB group, makes more sense now

Sk-Stotz-Bbc-S163-K16A-16A-16Amp-K.jpg

Never seen the K tripping curve in any other manufacturer's ranges, and I'm sure it still raises some eyebrows when 3871 type "K" is refered to

Edited by Phoenix

kerching

Yep got some of them I think

stotz written in top left corner

Phoenix

Get them on ebay then mate, and you might be able to go on holiday when this current ****storm is over...!

I seem unable to let removed boards be skipped c/w with breakers, I seem to have aquired piles of various obsolete breakers that are slowly taking over the garage, and very occasionly one will come in usful, only very occasionly though, the rest will end up being stored there for evermore

Evans Electric
4 hours ago, kerching said:

but maybe, this time next year Deke, his time next year!

What !!!   We'll all be millionaires  ??    :innocent

2 hours ago, kerching said:

Are they the Stötz /ABB ones?

I don't believe this  !! 

Evans Electric
1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

very occasionly one will come in usful, only very occasionly though, the rest will end up being stored there for evermore

We all think that  ....I've dumped loads of the damn things  .     But only in small  numbers ...never know ...might need one of these ...might come in useful one day .  

I'm down to about 60 - 70 now.   

Andy™
9 hours ago, kerching said:

where you going?week holiday in the shed at the bottom of the garden, to get away from the house for a bit?

kerching

The minute We are allowed then it's off to Cyprus!

meanwhile today I decided to clear out 'the shed' and whilst doing so I moved the seldom used MICC box so,here you go!

and there is one especially for @roys and @Evans Electric

so 

Old School Imperial

IMG_1700.thumb.JPG.1b089c478e7696800747e1dcccd02023.JPG

where you needed a telephone directory to tell you which gland

By special,request

IMG_1701.thumb.JPG.f0f7833b8e5cf681c1ddfbd9f3811826.JPGIMG_1702.thumb.JPG.d8f03de3929ba0f1c982e61ef0c16151.JPGIMG_1703.thumb.JPG.cc4712417d08a92275ba15cfc109cc55.JPGIMG_1704.thumb.JPG.0a74701f0df074c4bee2b9ac138cdd4a.JPGIMG_1705.thumb.JPG.c68d3607452306a8abad03ccb2d419ee.JPGIMG_1706.thumb.JPG.2fa982294fea575cfd802bfaab622abf.JPG

Used in 1980 according tprint dat 

IMG_1707.thumb.JPG.b936a252c09d438dba88bb41ebab85f9.JPG

emergency get you out of the carp case....bearing in mind we did a LOT of Pyro

IMG_1708.thumb.JPG.77741abcdbd33d78c12e9d711f3587ad.JPG

and finally Wedge Pots and seals with glands. I,actually quite liked theseIMG_1709.thumb.JPG.1b170ab33d42fec8ec2b33795a58b4ef.JPGIMG_1710.thumb.JPG.100b92c1f9399c9261dd3ca6100d6be3.JPGIMG_1711.thumb.JPG.7ce2ae00c7f4391ab50411aba77fa19f.JPGIMG_1712.thumb.JPG.0dd865dad624f22f21a68df5ee9c8df4.JPG

Evans Electric

Kerch  you're a Pyro millionaire  .    I think all mine went as brass "Tat "    with the scrap cable , just have the tools now .  I remember those tins of compound  well.  Those seals ...didn't we have to fit a bead into the sleeving .... kept them on a wire stick ?   

I've said before on here , the oddest job I was on  was  a Halls of Residence at B,ham Uni  .  where they had Home Office permission  to wire it all in  ...is it  TN-C  ?

Generally single core Pyro  ...earth tail pots ... with the sheath as  N & E  .  

A 20 storey  & a 3 storey block . 

A socket would be connected .... centre core Live ..... the earth tail  off the pot to the back of the box ---to the N  --then the E   .must be done without cutting it .     

Edited by Evans Electric

roys

Aaaahhh there is them pesky shrink sleeves that I haven’t seen for 35 years and hoped I wouldn’t see again. I do likePyro.😀

kerching

I may have to,correct myself.....found a pack of Wrexham Cables stuff.  Was this the forerunner of CEFs Doncaster Cables?

and was it Wrexhams that were not Ex approved. Only just remembered seeing them , but now are a bit inaccessible to confirm!

Evans Electric

I seem to remember Wrexhams  appearing as a cheaper option .   Didn't they end up  with just  one  manufacturer  of MICC  cable  ,  Pyro disappeared or was bought out by BICC . 

kerching

There is a firm in Newcastle making Pyro now.  I was talking to,them at a trade show a few years ago

called the MICC group

i congratulated them on their company logo and they reckoned nobody else had noticed its subtlety

IMG_5384.PNG.84c089a769f5c361067a7b78d3c706a4.PNG

if you know, you know!

kerching

There is a firm in Newcastle making Pyro now.  I was talking to,them at a trade show a few years ago

called the MICC group

i congratulated them on their company logo and they reckoned nobody else had noticed its subtlety

if you know, you know!

just googled.   Wrexham are still,going

roys

That is a good logo😀

kerching
44 minutes ago, roys said:

That is a good logo😀

I was wandering around the exhibition and it was the first thing I noticed on the stand

apparentlynWrexham is the onl UK based MI manufacturer now, according to,their website

todays mission is to try and find an AlCuMIC end for @Evans Electric

and assemble   a summerhouse for my mother

UNG
14 hours ago, kerching said:

I may have to,correct myself.....found a pack of Wrexham Cables stuff.  Was this the forerunner of CEFs Doncaster Cables?

and was it Wrexhams that were not Ex approved. Only just remembered seeing them , but now are a bit inaccessible to confirm!

ISTR the reason Wrexham MI wasn't Ex approved was it due to it not being a solid drawn cable. You generally could tell Wrexham mineral from other types when you stripped it especially if the seam weld had not been properly annealed. The AEI MI could be identified by the insulation which was silicon based to alleviate the damp problems

13 hours ago, Evans Electric said:

I seem to remember Wrexhams  appearing as a cheaper option .   Didn't they end up  with just  one  manufacturer  of MICC  cable  ,  Pyro disappeared or was bought out by BICC . 

I remember ordering BICC Pyrotenax and the wholesaler trying to substitute it with Wrexham mineral absolute pain when the job was specced as Pyrotenax

It looks like there are still a number of companies manufacturing MICC when BICC sold off it's cable divisions I think TYCO bought the Pyrotenax brand although that now appears to be part of nVent's portfolio of products, along with Wrexham there is also AEI and MICC Ltd, apart from Wrexham they are all based up in the North East

13 hours ago, kerching said:

called the MICC group

if you know, you know!

Looks like it's management is former BICC employees