Car charging

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Ferg

Reaction score
Hi all I'm Andy  been in the industry a long time and seen a lot of change cant help but wonder what will happen when we go all electric cars in near future with concern over these fast chargers suggested. Fast charging means more power required from our distribution boards domestic and commercial. Car manufacturers not concerned about that side of thing just selling cards.

Ps new to this forum thing so be patient 

I believe your concerns are valid.

The infra structure, from generation to local distribution simply isn't there to support an electric car fleet on the scale of the present petrol car fleet. Neither is there any sign, or I think even discussion. of creating such capacity.

So, draw conclusions:  Either, There are going to be a lot less cars on the road.  OR a new energy source will emerge, perhaps hydrogen based, OR petrol will be allowed to continue in use.

Those are my thoughts, others may disagree.

The immediate issues facing electric cars are:

they are too expensive

there are not enough charge points and it’s highly questionable if the grid could support millions of electric cars

batteries - most are based on lithium - which is a finite resource AND isn’t currently something that can be recycled

german manufacturers are working on hydrogen fuel cells and this seems to be sensible

in the meantime local garages will earn good money keeping petrol and diesel cars running .....