Not really noticed this before .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We started to upgrade some boards in a pub  this week , one a week is enough .   

We  fitted a Lewden  36 way  , all SP ways in this one  and  upgrading to RCBOs  .        Very little room left down the sides with RCBOs  , would have  been  fine  with just MCBs .     Difficult to access the earth bar  .

Also noted the clamps on the neutral  & earth bars  didn't like  the  hard as solid steel  , so called copper cores of the sub- main SWA   .     Cable just rolls from under the box clamp , shoved it in the back in the end .      Must be 1% copper in that damn rubbish.  

Something else I meant mention ..... occurs with other boards too  ,.  the MCB  retaining clips seem to be on the  BB side , although the breakers do hook on to the din rail .

I fitted two TP breakers with clips on output  side ,  then a load of RCBOs   , then noticed  the RCBOs  switch OFF  facing the BBs  but the MCBs switch OFF facing outwards ..which would cause confusion  and the assumption that one was OFF when it was ON .    

The Lewden /DGD Curve stuff is really good to work on and looks goodNOT A PATCH ON scneider but it's not me that's paying. However their 3ph stuff is total and utter Shute. I have never come across such a liquid runny festering pile of bovine faeces ever AND I've used some CEF stuff! Breakers don't fit. Lid has to be fitted with a crowbar, the blanks just fall out, the numbering is up the wall

ive fitted ONe there won't be a second! Bloody thing haunts me every time I go back to site and they want another circuit!    OH, they don't make breakers for the 5 year old board any more either

just saying

Lid has to be fitted with a crowbar, the blanks just fall out, the numbering is up the wall
Ah!!  Thanks Kerch     I forgot  fitting the lid ...the door is attached to the front  and it weighs   10000 kilograms  , half the breakers have to be levered in  to make the lid fit  .

AND  the circuit labels are made from a shiny plastic  that repels most writing  inks .      Looks OK once its on the wall  .    

Ah!!  Thanks Kerch     I forgot  fitting the lid ...the door is attached to the front  and it weighs   10000 kilograms  , half the breakers have to be levered in  to make the lid fit  .

AND  the circuit labels are made from a shiny plastic  that repels most writing  inks .      Looks OK once its on the wall  .    
well it’s customer friendly then. 

I got lumbered with a job to correct / update the drawings for an old plant following a near nasty accident. The electrician isolated a section following the drawing, fortunately he tested before touching anything and it was still live. It was due to a crossed dual feeder and I was asked to sort things out, I’d opened a can of worms.

Found:

A 16mm² SWA fed by 800A fuses.

Several crossed dual feeders.

Main distribution switches he-man couldn’t shift, I used a scaffold pole and still struggled.

I eventually resorted to switch off and wait to find out who shouted the loudest.