Open and closed ring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit of an open question  Greenfield .     Do you know what a ring  circuit and a radial circuit  look like ?     We don't know your level of knowledge  , is it apprentice ,  DIY ,  or just interested? 

Sorry for not being specific, I'm an apprentice and I have to write about voltage transmission, I have to describe how open ring and closed ring circuits operate. Thanks for all the replies!

I think you will still struggle to get a sensible answer unless you can give more context, because

A ring circuit is the common method of supplying household sockets in the UK, the word "closed" isn't generally included when discussing these.

If you are an electrical apprentice surely someone has told you about the domestic ring circuit?

An open ring MIGHT be a description of a fault on such a ring circuit, where one or more of the conductors has become open circuit and hence is no longer forming a ring.  Could that perhaps be what you question is getting at?  i.e. what happens to the current distribution in such circumstances?

Apparently though, as Tony has said above, the terms open and closed rings ARE used in a totally different field of electrical engineering, namely distribution of power around a town or city or perhaps a major industrial complex.     So, could that be where you question is aiming?

Sorry for not being specific, I'm an apprentice and I have to write about voltage transmission, I have to describe how open ring and closed ring circuits operate. Thanks for all the replies!

I think you will find you need to do a bit more yourself first to offer what you think the answer(s) is/are before someone else does your homework for you.....

Have you tried Google?

https://digital-library.theiet.org/docserver/fulltext/oap-cired/2017/1/OAP-CIRED.2017.0019.pdf

May be relevant..

or maybe not...

Like a lot of things electrical you typically need a bit more meat on the bones to put something into context...

Guinness

An open ring is what the UK networks use to supply their network of transformers ,so if a section has a fault they can isolate that part to work on, they then close the ring to back feed as such the rest of the ring (making two radial) ,

if you cam imagine a ring circuit with one end not connected and all the transformers teeing off the ring with an isolator on each side of the transformer , its easer if you draw it out you will see what I mean.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Could anyone explain how open and closed ring circuits operate? 

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will get a lot clearer answers when you are more specific with the terminology of your questions. To try and illustrate, when you say the phrase "Ring circuit" anyone reading cannot easily differentiate between final circuits within an installation, or distribution circuits to an installation.  A classic DIY question can be; "How can add a socket to my ring main",  When they are actually talking about extending a "Ring Final Circuit".  The ring final has one point of supply with multiple connected loads around the ring.  Which is a very different scenario to a ring with multiple possible sources, as part of a distribution network.   

So the more detail you can give to start with the better chance others will have of giving relevant answers.

Doc H.