Bear in mind ........................

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Its a reasonably modern 5 bed house the CU labelling lacked something:

MK CU.jpg

A bit more info on which rooms were covered would have saved me time!

If I have to go back at least now I know which lighting circuit covers the kitchen!

Isn't it a bit odd to have so many separate lighting circuits?
I thought that .....  a 5 bed house with  7 lighting circuits  .      Does each room have a giant letter   A or B   painted on it  to correspond with the board.  ?  

You could guess what each circuit does  by the breaker sizes  .....its   the locations that matter .     The guy's logic baffles me TBH  .

I do recall times when we found  many boards were not marked up at all  ...specially houses .    Commercial & industrial  also suffered ...so difficult when you don't know which fuse to pull without affecting  a machine .   No computers then but still difficult .       The only time it seemed to be  done  was when it was specified  by a consultant .   

A common thing on commercial / industrial  would be the board marked up ..great !  .... so  No. 2 is  Mr Jones's office   ..who is Mr Jones  ?   Someone who left in the 1950's  !!! 

No additional information what so ever!

i know there’s a reg that suggests we should avoid putting too much on 1 mcb or rcd but this takes the biscuit imho

That is infinitely better than many.

I have a garage to wire probably next week. When I went to look at the job, there is a shiny new CU with not a single label on it anywhere.

All he was bothered about was telling everyone about "the cracking deals we have on label printers"
That just about sums them up ...basically  flogging gear .    

I phoned them years ago  to ask a question .....we'd just come across the first plastic  plumbing fittings used on copper pipe .      

We 'd run a 10mm through a house  , down to the incoming water  , fitted clip .   Went upstairs to find the plumber chopping the same pipe & fitting PVC  tee ,    so in our opinion removing the bonding  connection on all  the  other pipework .   

I remember a certain "attitude "   on the phone , which stopped short of telling to "eff off "  .     Part of it was ..."  What are you so bothered about...just fit the bond  in the accepted point "    

Bit like an assessor many years ago , driving him to a job ,  he mentioned he was at a cable manufacturers meeting next day .   I said ,   a bit tongue in cheek ,  can you get rid of that damn awful solid strand 2.5  mm  while you're there.?   

His answer was something like  "  Well  I don't think we'll  be interested in your opinions  "     :eek: