Recommendations for Solar PIR Flood

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good range of solar powered security floodlights? This needs to be positioned a long way from the house where no power is available

This needs to work all year round. Probably best to have separate flood and remote panel to allow optimum positioning of both.

Many thanks

There are LED PIR lights on the market which are battery powered .......
 lots of those, but still the batteries are the weak link. I did find one that used the same sort of battery as fitted to alarm boxes, that one lasted 5 years. Most use re-chargable AA, which last 2 years before they run out of charge cycles. 

You don't get owt for nowt, as they say somewhere to the East of where I am.

I would suggest that a set of ni-mh AA's every couple of years, at well less than £10 is reasonable running cost. Similarly if you can find one with lead acid lasting five years probably ~£25.

Perhaps the secret is to find one where the user can change the batteries themselves without needing access equipment, special tools,  or an engineering degree.

OR buy cheap and consider it disposable after a couple of years.  I have a couple of those on my driveway and won't be upset to have to bin them when necessary. 

PIR lights
Advice from the people that should know, is to forget PIR and go for low level( as in low LUX and not low to the floor) lighting all round, that is on during the hours of darkness, as people are too used to the PIR lights coming on that they ignore them and blame, cats, dogs, foxes, and other animals depending on where you live can set them off, I just got 4 for £30 and if I need to change them every year so be it , cheap at half the price.

if someone up to no-good is looking at you house and its all lit up and the house next door is in darkness where is he going to go?   

Latest posts